• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A few logo concepts

ChrisSiegle

Hi everybody! I'm going to introduce myself again here because I'm new and posted in the New Members section, but I don't know how often some of you regulars frequent that area. Anyway, I'm Chris, 22, I'm a graphic designer and started working at a sign shop in September.

Now, onto business...

During slow times around my shop I've been designing some logos, not for anyone in particular, they're all somewhat generic, but that's what I was going for, no real connection to an owner, area, or business name. Just getting some practice, and who knows, maybe we'll be able to use them or something similar in the future. A co-worker suggested I post some of them up to get some opinions, so here I am.

See what you all think.

maggies.jpg

patterson.jpg

vinnies.jpg

Circleville Signs

Honest answer?

The restaurant and pizza logos look "done". As in the same ideas have been done about 10,000 times before. The trucking one isn't as bad, but still doesn't convey anything new.

If you really want to get into small business branding, I'd recommend picking up Dan Antonelli's books. He has a 3rd one in the works now.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I agree with Circle, the "concepts" are weak or typical "sign shop" logo work.

The first logo, the outline and drop shadow is a little overpowering... like you are making up for the lack of readability on the gold logotype.

Second logo, your angles are all over the place, the "P" on Patterson is not the same amount as the "N" See below...

The third logo, if you are going to use type in a radius, make them uppercase.

Besides Dan's books, which are really good reads. I would look into Logolounge, and use the design process, they should have taught you that at school, if they didn't, ask for your money back, if you don't know it, then get - "Logo Design Workbook", "Designing Logos: The Process of Creating Symbols That Endure" and "Design Matters: Logos 01: An Essential Primer for Today’s Competitive Market" and try again using the design process.

Attachments

• wierd shear.jpg
    wierd shear.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Justin

I'm curious of this.. design process you speak of that's suppose to be taught in schools.. I personally didn't go to school for design/graphic design.. so.....

Rick

Graphic design is not pulling something out of ones butt... (though occasionally I have) or perusing clip art books (okay I have done that too)

all things designed should use this process, some in a matter of minutes, some takes weeks or months.

The process is defined as

The Brief: What the client is requesting... define the requirements
Research: Need to know the client, type of business, constraints.
Design: The fun part, then present to client...
Refine: address any shortcoming of design or redesign
Implementation: fabricate it, print it, attach it, stick it.
Review: Look at the results, adjust if possible, pat yourself on the back, fire the guy that messed it up

Justin

Graphic design is not pulling something out of ones butt... (though occasionally I have) or perusing clip art books (okay I have done that too)

all things designed should use this process, some in a matter of minutes, some takes weeks or months.

The process is defined as

The Brief: What the client is requesting... define the requirements
Research: Need to know the client, type of business, constraints.
Design: The fun part, then present to client...
Refine: address any shortcoming of design or redesign
Implementation: fabricate it, print it, attach it, stick it.
Review: Look at the results, adjust if possible, pat yourself on the back, fire the guy that messed it up

I see. I pretty much knew this before, but didn't really have it layed out per se like that..

Thanks! Anything else to add?

Circleville Signs

I don't understand the significance of that site? You get to see other peoples logo creations, and pay $100 to possibly get it put in a book??

If you don't see the significance of having access to the ideas and thought processes of top designers for inspiration and education, then no amount of explanation will help you understand...

Justin

Well alright? I still don't see how, or why I need to look at other logos to decide whether I am doing a good job designing, or not.. Besides, it doesn't say there is some kind of forum, or flow chart, or paragraph of their thought, or design process.. It just says a book with logos, and the latest "trends".

Circleville Signs

Well alright? I still don't see how, or why I need to look at other logos to decide whether I am doing a good job designing, or not.. Besides, it doesn't say there is some kind of forum, or flow chart, or paragraph of their thought, or design process.. It just says a book with logos, and the latest "trends".

I already know you aren't a good designer - want to guess how I know?

Rick

I see. I pretty much knew this before, but didn't really have it layed out per se like that..

Thanks! Anything else to add?

I used to be a sign shop designer... you know, bang out 3 logos a day while designing a few truck layouts, banners and panels and then running the printer and plotter. You can only do so much. But using the process does actually speeds up my performance.

Now that I just design, to me it's all about the end user... the person looking at the logo or design. Lots of business owners use sign designers as their personal design puppet, it's really hard to convince them it's not just about their taste. I stopped arguing that point and just give them the option. They can then take it or leave it. I have succeeded enough where I am about 50/50 on end user thinking clients and design puppet clients. Knowing the kind of client you are working with cuts down on designer frustration.

To the OP... when doing conceptual design, you have no restrictions, make the most of that. better to show one killer logo, than 3 mediocre ones.

Justin

I used to be a sign shop designer... you know, bang out 3 logos a day while designing a few truck layouts, banners and panels and then running the printer and plotter. You can only do so much. But using the process does actually speeds up my performance.

Now that I just design, to me it's all about the end user... the person looking at the logo or design. Lots of business owners use sign designers as their personal design puppet, it's really hard to convince them it's not just about their taste. I stopped arguing that point and just give them the option. They can then take it or leave it. I have succeeded enough where I am about 50/50 on end user thinking clients and design puppet clients. Knowing the kind of client you are working with cuts down on designer frustration.

To the OP... when doing conceptual design, you have no restrictions, make the most of that. better to show one killer logo, than 3 mediocre ones.

Thanks for your informative posts. I mean I didn't come here to be belittled, or told I suck at designing, and such.. I came to Signs 101 to learn, and you've helped.

Thanks again.

Circleville Signs

You've made it very clear that you don't really want to learn. You aren't interested in seeing what the top people in the industry do, or how they do it. You don't feel that you need to compare your work to anyone else's.

That is not the attitude of someone who wants to learn. That is the attitude of someone who thinks they already know everything.

That's how I know you aren't a good designer. Good designers are curious - they want to learn and see and experience.

Deaton Design

Once again guys, a post gets turned into a pi**ing contest. Cmon, just offer the guy some helpful critiques and leave it at that.
What he shows here, shows me he has talent for designing. They are basic designs for sure, but still look pretty good. A few mistakes made, but all in all decent work. He did say this was just practice, and not for any client that is real. I do this all the time. If more people did this, maybe there wouldnt be all them ugly designs out there, lol.

Justin

You've made it very clear that you don't really want to learn. You aren't interested in seeing what the top people in the industry do, or how they do it. You don't feel that you need to compare your work to anyone else's.

That is not the attitude of someone who wants to learn. That is the attitude of someone who thinks they already know everything.

That's how I know you aren't a good designer. Good designers are curious - they want to learn and see and experience.

I honestly don't want to debate, or argue about it. Carry on!

ChrisSiegle, I personally like the 1st two logos, and think they look good, and sorry for hijacking!

Colin

Like Circleville has indicated, it is critical to look at and digest good logo design and let it get into your brain. Then learn why some designs work and don't work. Understanding typography and all of the discipline that goes with it is also critical. It takes considerable time to become competent.

Maggies: Not the typeface I'd use. The overall look is thin/weak/anemic. Good choice of using warm colours though for anything food related.

Patterson: You've made the common and unforgivable mistake of using two different angles (slant) for the lettering. If you do this again, stick your wet fingers in a socket.

Pizza: The circle part is too small IMO. Vinnie's' position in the circle is too low, (too much empty space above the lettering and too little below). The treatment on the two "Z" letters ought to also be on the P, I and A.

It's a start.

Colin

example.....

(would change the lines in the hat to 80% black)

Attachments

• Maggies 2.jpg
    Maggies 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 126