• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A few logo concepts

Colin

There we go. Generally avoid cold colours for food related designs, with some exceptions; Greek for example.

Attachments

• Maggies 2.jpg
    Maggies 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 81

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Once again guys, a post gets turned into a pi**ing contest. Cmon, just offer the guy some helpful critiques and leave it at that.
What he shows here, shows me he has talent for designing. They are basic designs for sure, but still look pretty good. A few mistakes made, but all in all decent work. He did say this was just practice, and not for any client that is real. I do this all the time. If more people did this, maybe there wouldnt be all them ugly designs out there, lol.

:ROFLMAO: yeah and me and Addie weren't even in on it............. :Big Laugh

:Oops:

Justin

There we go. Generally avoid cold colours for food related designs, with some exceptions; Greek for example.

Just curious, but is this a rule you made up, or ? Any other rules, or have a link/source for some good rules to follow?

Thanks

Colin

Just curious, but is this a rule you made up, or ?

Not so much a rule as a guideline. It strikes back to the primitive "stuff" still rattling around in our brains about food, and how for tens of thousands of years, food meant fire, and fire is hot, not cold, so cold colours generally are off-putting to us in the sub conscious regarding food. Warm colours are in keeping with fire & food, and work well with food logos & icons.

Go to Google > Images, and type in "Food Logos" and see what appears.

Any other rules, or have a link/source for some good rules to follow?

Yes. Realize sooner than later that man is and always has been a maker of gods, and that holding false, superstitious, bankrupt, impoverished, supernatural beliefs should be untenable to any thinking person.

(c'mon folks - that's gold) :Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, but is this a rule you made up, or ? Any other rules, or have a link/source for some good rules to follow?

Thanks

Yeah, I'm not too keen on certain colors for foods, but I think it more relates to what foods you are talking about.

If you had an ice cream store, I think blues, purples and other :cool1: colors work fine. Kinda like the heating & cooling companies. If you're going to make a sign advertising choice cuts of meat, I wouldn't use greens or reds and how much more opposite can you get than that ?? If you were selling salad fixin's and certain hot foods, the greens along with oranges will be just dandy. As for names of a eating establishment and colors for in a logo, one must work with what feels good to you.

I don't think there is a designer worth their salt who can say this color or that color for anything and couldn't go on the other side of the fence and defend using completely opposite colors schemes. Now there are some wrong colors to use around food, but then again it depends on what kinda food we're talkin' about. I don't like pinks or browns for much of anything, but if you have a candy store, both of those colors will work well.

I believe the type face or image has more to do with completing a logo than color, but I'm sure we'll hear differently. As for colors, bright and showy will do it everytime. :covereyes:

Joe Diaz

Once again guys, a post gets turned into a pi**ing contest. Cmon, just offer the guy some helpful critiques and leave it at that.
What he shows here, shows me he has talent for designing. They are basic designs for sure, but still look pretty good. A few mistakes made, but all in all decent work. He did say this was just practice, and not for any client that is real. I do this all the time. If more people did this, maybe there wouldnt be all them ugly designs out there, lol.

:goodpost:

I agree 100% I also agree with critiques given and Colin did a great job showing how the one design can be improved.

Thanks

It's color theory. Google it. I'm sure you will find a lot of info on the topic. It's a very powerful tool in design especially. Certain colors tend to trigger certain emotions when used along side certain imagery. Warm colors like red orange and yellow can mean heat and warmth, which can be used to subliminally sell that feeling to anyone looking at that restaurant's brand.

However there are exceptions to every rule. Long John Silvers for example uses cool colors yet they sell warm food. (well if you live anywhere but pontiac maybe:Big Laugh), however one could argue that's because that particular design is trying to tie into the ocean or the sea themes first and food second.

How warm colors and cool colors interact with each other if used in the same design can also be important, especially complimentary colors.

I lucked out because my dad did his thesis on color theory for his masters. He is extremely knowledgeable on the subject. So I have a great source for all my color questions right here in the shop.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Now, onto business...
See what you all think.

The "Patterson" and "Trucking are at 2 different angles of skewing ... pretty simple, but one question ... is the trucking going one way and the truck the other way? so basically the question people will as is if the truck is (in essence) going backwards, how is the actual act of "trucking" going forwards?
as for the maggies, I can't build on what others have said. vinnies ... you know better ... honestly, the font for 'pizza' sucks, the ZZ does not match the PI & A ... your speed cutouts don't match from letter to letter. leave them regular, keep the 'highlight' but get rid of those notches. As for the design ... make the tan a white any you just made a generic italian food sign that screams "eat here, we use costco brand sauce in a can ... bland and flavorless like our logo" I would start completely over on that one and try to break your own personal mold on that.