• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Few New Fleet Branding / Truck Wrap Projects

Dan Antonelli

Here's a few new fleet branding projects we just completed. We handled the branding first, then tackled the vehicles. Definitely finding that when we are tasked to do both simultaneously, the end result is usually better as you have to think in advance more so how the brand will work on the truck.

It also makes the process to finalize a logo much faster. Once the client sees it a truck, they seem to 'get it' much faster than viewing it on a plain white background.

Nice to bust out a few non-retro ones. We have a few new ones about to launch non-retro as well. It's funny - they become more an exercise about how many things can you remove from the design versus add to the design - to make them even more effective.

We recently heard from a client with 30 vehicles who hired us to rebrand them and redo the fleet graphics as well. He has a tracking number on the fleet, and has for years. After the brand redesign, and new fleet graphics, the number of leads and calls from the trucks quadrupled. That's real, tangible results which only go to prove that when executed correctly, dollar for dollar, you can't get a better value. But only if the design is done correctly - otherwise the ROI is marginalized.

Dan

Attachments

• electrician-wrap-design.jpg
    electrician-wrap-design.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 109
  • heatingcompanytruckwrap.jpg
    heatingcompanytruckwrap.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 83
  • hvac-truck-wrap.jpg
    hvac-truck-wrap.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 80
  • retrotruckwrap.jpg
    retrotruckwrap.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 90

Moze

Precision Sign Services
How'd you get them to all park in the exact same spot?!?

:)

Very nice work, Dan.

Joe Diaz

Nicely done. Wish we could get people in our area to invest in wrap jobs like these. I design more wraps for other companies to install then we actually sell here. LOL I feel like if there were just a few more service like companies in our area that would invest in wraps, it would create a "Keep Up with the Joneses" effect.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nicely done. Wish we could get people in our area to invest in wrap jobs like these. I design more wraps for other companies to install then we actually sell here. LOL I feel like if there were just a few more service like companies in our area that would invest in wraps, it would create a "Keep Up with the Joneses" effect.

Joe..... are your company trucks all wrapped ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I wouldn't say it's a problem of us not being good salesmen, it's just a trend that isn't as popular in our neck of the woods.

Well, ours aren't even lettered, let alone wrapped. We haven't come up with our final design, yet. However, we don't get a lot of them either anymore as there are too many people around doing them for next to nothing. I think that's more of the problem around here. They don't want to spend enough to have us do it. They don't care how nice they look or how well they're installed.... it's all about the bottom line. So, if you're sending a lot out, other people are doing it, just not around you.

I believe for Dan, he's in the same boat as you..... most everything he does is for across the country. There's no way you could be doing that many companies in one area. the place would be over-saturated with one look and that would get old real fast.

Dan Antonelli

I believe for Dan, he's in the same boat as you..... most everything he does is for across the country. There's no way you could be doing that many companies in one area. the place would be over-saturated with one look and that would get old real fast.

We are working with clients all over the county, but I don't think they're effective because they are atypical for any particular geographic region. True, if every contractor was doing retro branding in one area, it might lose some effectiveness, but the principles of good design will work no matter how many companies are also deploying good branding tactics. These tend to stand out more so because obviously not many electricians or HVAC companies deploy branding schemes like this. This is why small business branding is so critical. Some of these companies we do work for only have a handful of employees - if that - but were you to judge them by their brand promise as illustrated by the vehicle, you would think they are much larger.

I love working with these guys because their competitors are caught flat footed, and the work we do around their brand when integrated helps crush those larger competitors. That's what's fun. Give me the underdog contractor and we'll make them a player in their area and help obliterate their larger competitors. The bigger companies let their own success perpetuate their poor brand and their complacency in the market leaves them wide open.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here, there are very few people that are willing to spend $5,000 or $10,000 on rebranding themselves, forking out all the money for new invoices, business cards, a new sign in front of their place, the ads in all the places where they advertise, T-shirts and other apparel....... and then still spend another $4,500 a truck times 8 trucks for a facelift. Sure, some companies have no problem spending $60,000 or $75,000 on this, but most do have a problem with it. When you have a small city like I'm in with about 65 other shops within 15 miles of each other..... all advertsing they can do it.... no designing or color scheme is gonna change someone's mind from $65,000 down to $25,000. The dollars and commas take over.

What I was saying to Joe was that you and he, both are doing work not in your immediate area. If you find one lucky shop in a major city, you have it made. Take that times 300 or 400 hundred cities, that's a lota designing and rebranding. That's great and can be done, but for the average local guy, he can't go that far. He's not set up for it. Yeah, he/she could get there, but not overnight.

Making a little guy look like a big guy is indeed fun, but I don't think people spending $50,000 to $75,000 are looking at the 'fun' aspect of the overall game. It's serious business and they have to know they trust spending all that money...... and you just ain't gonna find that in Little Town, USA.

We had one about 6 years ago and we did a whole slew of trucks, cars and all kinds of things and we made out like bandits. Their own designer designed these things and we came in at a price they could afford. Over a few months time we completed the whole job. Here's the kicker, when we got the first files, there were all kinds of mistakes and we worked closely with the designer and greatly improved their appearance. Since then, the next one we did was about 25 vehicles, but only partial wraps. Again, we didn't design them. They looked in my estimation..... HIDEOUS, but you couldn't work with this designer. We did them and once they were only a few vehicles into it, the owners started complaining to us saying things didn't look like they did on the drawings. Ah, that's right. His files don't match the actual vehicles. He wouldn't budge on his designs and you guys didn't force him, so this is what ya got.

The last batch we did was about a year ago. We did about 35 vehicles or so and they turned out nicer than I thought they would, but again, they were designed by someone else and most didn't fit the vehicles they were meant for.

My point is.... all these companies were from at least 50 miles away, designed by someone else and drove their trucks here and we did them in our bays. There is no one in my town that can do this who can afford the whole kit and caboodle. There is the occasional wrap or partial wrap, but no fleets for the most part.

Dan Antonelli

Gino,

Most of these guys are small, one or two van operations. Some are indeed much larger, but this type of design work is important for any business, regardless of size. One of these guys in not too far from your neck of the woods, and we've done quite a bit of work in pretty economically depressed areas. Can the average ordinary guy do this? No probably not. But we're not looking to cater to the average. And for a business owner who's looking to put the tools in place to get there - they're not looking to hire the average either. The interesting thing is the brand of small business remains one of their most valuable assets. If only more understood (hence, the sole purpose of my next book), more would be much more successful.

It is indeed quite serious business for the clients with 30 trucks that are looking to rebrand. We've done several of them - and it's certainly something we take very seriously, of course. What I find is fun and rewarding is being tasked by the underdog to help give them the tools to compete against the big dogs.

jkdbjj

Branding works for me and my clients

I wanted to say that since I have met Dan a few things have happened for my company.

1) Branding has taken on a whole new meaning for me.
2) I lose many jobs for sure, because either they don't want to be told their brand needs work or they can't afford me. At the same time my average sale has increased exponentially for those that hear the truth about branding before buying signage from me, and even if they can't afford what I am suggesting, they are eager to find a way to carve a new path for themselves.
3) We are contacted regularly either by referrals or current clients for ideas, opinions and advice before selling a sign now.
4) We have generated trust with companies in a way I could never have imagined.
5) Business has increased almost 400% in one year.

These are just some of the things, and the only factor that has changed in my company is how we understanding branding, how we explain it to our customers, and how we execute on those explanations.

One example:
Stranger sees me working at a clients next door, sees my van, asks if I have a moment to talk with him.
I stop working, go outside and listen to what he has to say. He proceeded to tell me he has a few trucks and vans that are white. He has a couple that have some graphics on them. He is in the remodeling business for commercial buildings. That day I give him my card, ask if I can call him at a better time. He says yes and he just wants a quote.

The key here is, "just wants a quote". The fact is, he does NOT want a quote. He wants a solution to his problem. Well, what is the problem? It is different for every client.
Couple days later, I stop by the job site he is on. He is hesitant at first, like he didn't really have time. I started to poke into a few areas that got him to talk. Asked about the following:
1)How's business currently?
2)Is he getting the type of jobs he would like to be getting?
3)Do the current graphics on his vehicle lead to sales, and if so how often?
4)Does his website work for him (I'm not even in the website business)

Now about that question, he stops me, and interjects. He goes on to say, these are all things that have been on his to do list, but he is busy, and never has time to do it. He also admitted he is not always doing the type of work he would like to be doing, but has to pay bills, etc...
He got a sense, that I wasn't there to sell him vehicle graphics. He understood I was trying to make his problems my problems, so I could help him solve them. I told him I wouldn't take his business if I did not believe what I make for him will help him. Which may mean looking at his logo and overall brand.

So now, what went from a simple visit a few days before has turned into a couple of meetings with him, his business partner (who has several businesses) and a very large order. Of which, part of that order will not even go to me. I hooked them up with a local designer that I think does great work, and they are very excited to be working on this as a project, and investment, and not an expense.

Bottom line folks, if your clients don't change their mindset from "expense" to "investment", you will very seldom see relationships blossom like this. They have to believe that what you are doing for them will be a great investment for them, and pay off in spades. You then have to deliver on that promise. It is a beautiful thing.

Now, I do live in Charlotte a growing city. I get there is more business here. However, the guy I just spoke about he is by no means wealthy. However, I sparked something in his imagination. He can now envision his business WILL change when he makes the move to a better brand. What did he do? He went to his business partner and sold ME, as the person to help him. Naturally his business partner wants ROI. Point is, even in smaller cities, or people that don't have a lot of money should still be making wise decisions with what little they have.
If we the sign companies ALLOW them to put a wrench on the side of their van with the words, Plumbing, take their payment and wish them a good life, we are actually hurting their chance of survival, and in a broader sense our local economy.

Sorry to be so long winded.