Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few questions...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by noregrets, Feb 1, 2007.

  1. noregrets

    noregrets Member

    Jan 27, 2007
    Hi everyone,

    Firstly this is a great site, stoked to have found it, and as I get better I hope to be an avid contributor ;-)

    Right, about me... I have been printing in the wide-format fine art/photography arena for some time now and have decided to broaden my horizons and have purchased a Roland SP300.

    So what I have now, is a new (well second hand) printer and a lot of questions.

    My knowldge of vinyl is not so bad, I have done a lot of research and seem to be up to the play of what to do (and what not to do) with vinyl, but it is the other capabilies of the Roland that have me a little stumped.
    1. Sandwich boards
      I have been looking at these in an entirely new way now, people must have thought I was strange looking at them so closely! Firstly I assumed that you just stuck vinyl onto them, but with closer inspection it looks as if the sandwich board has been printed on itself. Is this done with a heat transfer of some sort?

      I guess the same question applies to number plate surrounds and 4WD tyre covers
    2. Application Tape
      Am I correct in assuming that this is stuck ontop of your vinyl to protect it during application, and then removed once you have finished? Is this only used for vehicle wraps or broader purposes.
    3. Signwriting Vehicles
      I am about to embark on signwriting our business van, not going to go with a full wrap or anything (yet) just stick with some easy stuff first. From what I have researched it appears the use of some sort of heat gun is vital here. Is this just a normal heat gun from a hard wear store, or is it something more involved.
    Thanks for your time in reading all of this, and I would appreciate any advice.

    :U Rock:
  2. RJ California

    RJ California Active Member

    Jul 19, 2005
    Sandwich boards -- Flatbed printers will print directly on to flat panels of different thicknesses. The more common method would be to print with a roll to roll printer on adhesive vinyl and apply it to a panel (if it's done well it can look as though it was imaged directly to the surface) or with cut vinyl lettering from a plotter.

    Tire covers --- not a real big market around here. Most likely printed directly to the vinyl material and sewn to shape. My guess.

    Application Tape--- The tape is used to transfer cut lettering and graphics to a second surface and to keep it spaced and aligned properly. It's not for "protection". Most people do not use application tape on wraps, most digital printed wraps are laminated.

    A heat gun would only be necessary for a full wrap. For most vinyl applications you will not need a heat gun. It doesn't sound like you are ready to attemt a full wrap yet ;-)

    Others will probably have better answers for you. I'm breathing printer fumes at 1:30 am.:Sleeping:

    You will get alot of good advice here. Good luck!:thumb:
  3. noregrets

    noregrets Member

    Jan 27, 2007
    Thanks for that Rod, much appreciated!
  4. signage

    signage Major Contributor

    Oct 5, 2005
    Welcome to Signs 101 From PA (USA). Rob if you would do a search you will find a lot of info on here and Rod gave you good information.
  5. mladams7259

    mladams7259 Very Active Member

    Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome to Signs101!
  6. 2NinerNiner2

    2NinerNiner2 Very Active Member

    Mar 21, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    Bonjour de Montréal, Rob...from another SP-300 owner :)

    ..by the way, your user name is the title of my fave Tom Cochrane tune :)
  7. noregrets

    noregrets Member

    Jan 27, 2007
    Thanks guys :)
  8. Ken

    Ken Major Contributor

    Feb 7, 2005
    HI Rob. Welcome to S101. Rod gave you some good info above.
    Transfer tape comes in different varieties. Low, mid and hi tack. You can also use clear transfer tape. I frequently use the clear stuff when I have multiple smaller signs. It is re-usable to a degree. The paper stuff is a one-time use.
    I stareted with cut vinyl, I have had my sp300 for almost 2 years now and it really opened up a whole new facet of design capabilities. I suppose Freehand and Signlab are popular design programs out your way. I like CorelDraw and Photoshop for sending files to the RIP ( Colorip 2.2).
    As suggested, you can use the search function here to check out a lot of info that has already been posted.
    Let us know when you are printing to fine art paper..it is something I have not yet done with the versacamm and I would like to know your results.
    BC, Canada
  9. noregrets

    noregrets Member

    Jan 27, 2007
    Thanks Ken, yep I will let you know how I get on. Still waiting for the ink to arrive, so have yet to send the first print to it ;)

    How have you found the size limitation of the printer? already I seem to be finding problems with certain media not coming in smaller rolls...

Share This Page