Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few recent installs...

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Moze, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Been playing around with time-lapse videos. Need to figure out how to find & add music.

Edit: Added music to 2nd and 3rd video.

[video=youtube;skHlE3SBSrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skHlE3SBSrg[/video]

[video=youtube;ReKytM3l1SM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKytM3l1SM[/video]

[video=youtube;-13ePm5r0Mw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-13ePm5r0Mw[/video]

[video=youtube;LJP6hE7NFnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJP6hE7NFnQ[/video]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    Nice work! Fast too!

I was thinking pin-mounted

3. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks...I've done a couple. :)

The third video is acrylic letters with VHB tape. The pattern is a regular outline pattern, no pounce holes - just an outline of the letters. I have a small piece of wood with a very sharp brad driven through it. I use that to mark the 'corners' of the letters. It literally gives me 'pinpoint accuracy'.

Thank you, sir. I'm a tad slower in person lol

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    interesting technique

5. danno

danno Member

Mar 26, 2013
    NC
    BRAVO!!!! and he cleans up after himself!!!! That's extra credit..:thumb:

6. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I just never liked the mess that comes with pounce patterns. This is cleaner and faster IMO.

I try to always leave it cleaner than when I got there.

Edited the 2nd and 3rd video to include music and a logo reveal. Woohoo.

7. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Nice work Moze! Glad to see someone else that believes in cleaning up when finished. I see more people not doing that lately!

8. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Thank you! I always clean up, but this gave me a chance to use my new Bosch vac. :)

Attached Files:

9. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    very nice looking vids, now all you need is your logo done onto your shirts for when you do the installs.

BTW will be borrowing the wood/brad technique, assuming you do teh pinpoints inside the letter frame so it is covered up with the install?

in Vid 3 what is the small tape measure you use for the letter template alignment?

10. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I've thought about the logo on some shirts, but I primarily do installs for other sign companies and some have specified that they don't really want someone showing up with the name of a different sign company than the customer purchased the sign from. (it's late - did that make sense?)

And, correct...I put the letters on the pattern first to determine where the letters actually fall in relation to the pattern, and make the pinpoints accordingly.

The tape is a BMI 'Quicky Tape'. Works great for installing vinyl on door glass, etc.

11. jsmoritz2000

jsmoritz2000 Very Active Member

Nice work and great videos. Thanks for sharing. I would definitely like to see more.

12. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks! I'll keep making them. :)

13. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    :Big Laugh Drilling all those holes for 'Precision' must have been a bit of a task. I like what you're using for a work station.. can't be just a hand truck, though...

14. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry, maybe it's because it's early, but you lost me.

It's the DeWalt Tough Box system. It keeps everything I need for jobs like this in one place. Just put the box of letters on the bottom and go.

Attached Files:

15. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

Great work!!!

16. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks, Dennis!

17. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    :Oops: Sorry, I meant to say 'Signature'. Was typing while reading your posts... but yeah.. keeping the circles in order would drive me a bit mad. The box... thank you for that - I'll have to check out Dewalt's system. Better than carrying a bunch of cases around!

18. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX

I love the setup. I call it my 98% box. When installing dimensional letters, signs, etc, I have virtually everything I need in these.

19. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    Wow Moze! You are a true pro at what you do. I'm sure I'll be calling to pick your brain one of these days. You make it look so easy!

20. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks! Call any time! Happy to help.

21. Stanton

Stanton Member

Dec 7, 2013

I did some consulting for a SMALL sign co in Las Vegas a few years ago.

I showed up wearing a red YESCO tee shirt. I have a HUGE collection of shirts.
    And a long pony tail and ZZ Top style beard.

With me, you get more than you pay for.

The dude LITERALLY tried to tear the shirt off my back.

I had to push him against the wall and make him ask to be let free.

(I got paid and gave him good advice.)

22. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, some companies get pretty adamant about displaying any company name other than their own. I had an out-of-state company that I did some local work for even go so far as to specify that any vehicles with company names and logos had to be parked so they weren't visible from the store. I don't have any branding on my truck, fortunately.