Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Good Font Collection?

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by coyote, Aug 14, 2008.

1. coyote

coyote Active Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Baltimore MD
    After the thrilling Gerber 4B discussion, it occured to me that I don't have many of the fonts that I grew to love with my Gerber.

So, do folks buy one at a time as needed, or as collections of fonts? I don't need EVERY iteration of Helvetica....and I've seen that I can buy them individually. Just wondering. What's the most cost effective way to do this?

I know he who dies with the most fonts wins and all that, but I really only need about 12 to round out my collection for now.

Recommendations will be appreciated.

thanks, Carol

Tags:
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    There's no such thing as ever Rounding out your collection. Its always gonna be on the thin side.

3. Former member

Former member Member

Mar 24, 2006
    There's lots of places to buy fonts...
    I personally like House Industries, Veer, & You Work For Them. The stuff is pricey but, but worth it in my opinion.
    I think those mass collections are great & handy to have when you need to match something, but I purposely avoid them when I design something new. Most of the typefaces included are totally overused.( except helvetica, of course.)

4. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    I like to have a good standard set of fonts, Corel has Bistream fonts which is a good set of Standard fonts, then Canvas has a great set of unique fonts 2540 of them, some text most fore headlines. Then buy some cool fonts from here:
    http://artandsignstudio.com/orderfonts.html
    There are others too. I think key to remember is there are deals and then there are times not to deal and get the right fonts. If you need a standard Grotesk, but the Softmaker Megafont CD 50 bux, it has a good standard Grotesk, but if you need Akzindenz Grotesk, by all means buy BQ Berthold Akzindenz Grotesk not BE,which is inferior to BQ. Remember good quality fonts will not be memory hogs that some cheap *** fonts are.

5. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    do a search of this font:
    fontin
    it is a great free font.

6. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I recommend Arial, Times New Roman, Tahoma, Verdana and Helvetica :LOL:

7. Former member

Former member Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Forgot to mention Signfonts.com- Steve is a merchant member here. Buy the whole collection!

8. We bought a collection back about 4 years ago. 18,000. I have them installed on one of our PC's. We add all the time. Does slow down the Ram a little.

9. Rollie

Rollie Very Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada

Yup... Money VERY well spent!!

10. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    You do know that the Windows fonts folder is only capable of handling 1,000 fonts correctly . . .

I'll bet you a thousand dollars that when you open a design program you won't find all 18,000 fonts listed in there . . .

I had problems last year with one PC having 2,600 fonts loaded !

I would go to use a font and wouldn't be there, but yet is was in the fonts folder.

I now use FontNav which is part of Corel . . . I load and unload fonts as needed !

11. Kenny

Kenny Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Texas
    Ditto on Signfonts.com...nice addition to anyone's collection and a great set if your just starting out.

12. coyote

coyote Active Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Baltimore MD
    Thanks all: I do have a lot of fonts, just don't have some of my Gerber faves: Helvetica, Friz, etc. I'd like to have them. We got by with 20 fonts in our 4b days for 20 years-just hand drew what we needed if we didn't have it.

I'll check em out tomorrow when I'm more awake.
    Carol