• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A great way to END the week off bad!

TheSellOut

Did they all come down or break loose or just the one in your photo ?? The awnings on the front of the building are fine and have been completely installed for a week. The right side awning must have been blown completely around to the front of the building before ever hitting the ground due to the fact that there wasn't a single piece of glass (from the bulbs) on the right side and glass was all over the front

Its hard to tell in the pix, but did the anchors pull out or did they snap. Also did they reuse the original hardware to put it back up? Kinda looks like to me that they may have put it up with only placing bolts in certain areas to hold it up and then forgot to go back and finish installing the rest of them.

From what I can make out on the picture, it looks like there are hangers across the top, but I can only see one maybe 2 across the bottom of the wall (if what I'm seeing is actually hangers). Could they have set the tops & forgot to come back to do the bottom?

It wouldn't take much wind to lift the awning off the top set of hangers, especially if they didn't put tek's thru the hangers & into the tubing.

hang in there!!!

From what I can tell the clips are only at the top but the frame is then screwed in through brackets on the base of the awning into the building with 3.5"-4" screws (and there seemed to but quite a bit of those laying around). It was stupid but I got up in the awning that was still attached to the left side of the building to take pictures that there was not a single screw going through the top hangers into the tubing.

My gut feeling is that they were working on it for two days, two hours from home, in the rain, and 5 o'clock came around on Wed. and the installers said "f$@k it, its not going anywhere, we will be back tomorrow or Friday to finish it up anyways.

I'm trying to hang in there but this is by far the most stressful situation I have been in in the 6 years that I have been in business! My head has never hurt this bad for this long, it honestly feels like it could implode at any second. The job was two weeks over due to start with, the customer needs to know when the can expect to see the awning back up so they can plan on when to open, and the awning place said they have no idea when it will be completed as they have made a claim and the insurance company who will have to come investigate and to make sure no damage was done to the building itself...not to mention the fact that a whole new frame and skin have to been made.

I had no idea where to begin today at the shop and nothing got accomplished. I am just sick to my stomach.

showcase 66

I had no idea where to begin today at the shop and nothing got accomplished. I am just sick to my stomach.
I know how you feel.

My gut feeling is that they were working on it for two days, two hours from home, in the rain, and 5 o'clock came around on Wed. and the installers said "f$@k it, its not going anywhere, we will be back tomorrow or Friday to finish it up anyways.

I would almost bet this was the case. I have done 3 or 4 structural analysis on canopy failures in the past. 9 times out of ten, it was due to the installation. I have actually been in court as a prof. witness and have heard the installers say we always do that and this has never happened before.

I am also curious to know what the wall is made of. I doesnt seem like they were attatched to any studs. Of course if they use the original bolts to re install, that would make sense. If they used the original bolts, they should have also used an extra anchor to secure it better.

Hope you can get this situation handled quickly.

cdiesel

Man, that sucks. While it is an inconvenience to you and your customer (not to mention the awning guys), they do have an obligation (and insurance!) to make it right. Everything will work itself out.

Sticky Signs

Heath,
First off, that sucks. Alot. I know the feeling. I once had a job go south on me and I didn't sleep for a week. It still haunts me to this day. I also had another job go south on me and it was the same feeling. The only thing I can say to you is deal with it in the most professional way possible. Face the facts, sh!t happens. It's how you deal with the sh!t that makes you a super star. I dealt with my problems as best I could and as quickly as I could. My clients saw this. To this day, I'm still doing work for them and they're still recommending me. I know it's a horrible feeling but all you can do at this point is hold your head up high and deal with the problem at hand. Take care of the problem and you will still have a client in the end - although your profitability on this job will suffer, it's more important to solve the problem, keep the client happy and maintain your reputation. Sounds like it's time to put some pressure on the awning company to help you deal with this situation, insurance co. or not. Get it fixed ASAP.

Keith Rae

From the pics it looks like the awning along the hole back side came off and the wind blow that section of awning up and over the roof of the building.and came down in front. We always attach thing so they don't fall down some times we forget about thing working against gravity and lifting up. You said the bottom screen wasn't in place could have made a different, and had the lot been full of cars the wind could of been reflected up some, and may not have done the same damage, But we will never Know! Sorry about the hassles your now have to go through.

TheSellOut

I don't really have any new news to report as of yet other than the awning co. has put a claim into their insurance who will mostly likely be starting an investigation as to what they think happened. There will be no forward progress on getting the awning back up for a while I imagine...urghh

I do want to publicly say "Thank You" to CSDD for taking time out of his schedule to look over some additional photos that I had taken of the awning failure. It was nice to have an experienced set of eyes look over what I had and for him to give me his thoughts on what possibly could have happened or if anything jumped out at him as to why this went so wrong. It was greatly appreciated CSDD and Thanks again!

I'ld also like to thank Signs101, Fred, and all the members here for giving me (us) a place to talk things out and get help from all walks of the sign industry! We are very fortunate to have such a forum with such great, and involved, members!

Boy, with all the "thank you's" I'm handing out, I feel like I'm on stage receiving an award...which would have to be for the "Biggest F-up of the Year".

TheSnowman

Boy, with all the "thank you's" I'm handing out, I feel like I'm on stage receiving an award...which would have to be for the "Biggest F-up of the Year".
Around here we call that "The Wall Of Shame". We have a wall out in the garage and whenever anyone biffs up, a part of their screw up gets screwed to the wall. There's all kinds of stuff, but it's a daily reminder that we are all human.

I'd love to have a way to vote on the biggest screw ups of the year at the end of every year. There is always someone in a bigger blunder than you are!

Hope things work out for you.

Billct2

The awning company should be working overtime to get it back up ASAP.
Waiting for the insurance company is no excuse.

signage

The awning company should be working overtime to get it back up ASAP.
Waiting for the insurance company is no excuse.
:goodpost:
+1 on the above! Waiting for insurance Company will only prolong the project and get your customer pissed! They should be working to get this project done ASAP even if the insurance company doesn't cover it! If they made a mistake are they going to fix it if the insurance company doesn't pay? I would ask them this very question along with when they plan on having it completed!

Mosh

+on using insurance as an excuse. If it was my company we would be putting in OT until the thing is replaced. How embarassing!

GypsyGraphics

Feel just awful for you Heath... noting worse than the feeling of responsibility, when the error is not yours AND neither is the fix.

I'm curious to know how you are dealing with the clients.... how much do they know about who's responsible and where their frustration is directed?

I've had a few instances where i had to take the heat for an error or damage done by a subcontractor. Hearing how other handle this kind of thing would be very helpful.

TheSellOut

I have to first start by saying that there is the possibility, a small one but still a possibility, that it wasn't their fault and that a truck taking a short cut through the parking lot could have hit the corner of the awning...loosening it enough for the wind (which was obviously pretty high that day) to blow it down. With that being said, it is the only hope or excuse that this awning company is clinging to and they have yet to admit any fault of their own.

I'm curious to know how you are dealing with the clients.... how much do they know about who's responsible and where their frustration is directed?

GG, as far as my customer, who just so happens to be my largest client...I have been trying to keep them as informed as possible. They have known from the begining that I had subbed this job out and that I have had no hand in producing (other than the layout and color selection) removing or re-installing. And they are aware that the awning co. has filed a claim with their insurance, but other than that I have no information to give them.

Their main frustration is focused at me; One, for the fact the the project was two weeks overdue to start with; Two, obviously that the awning came down and how can I assure them it won't happen again especially when the lot is full of people and cars; Three, and old friend of the GM moved nearby with an impressive list of references from the awning industry and told them (2 weeks after the paperwork was signed with me) that he could have done the job for quite a bit less than my price. Which is BS to me for the fact that I don't believe he ever went out and measured anything.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, you are indeed in a jam. :covereyes:

Their hands may indeed be tied with legal mumbo-jumbo, but that doesn't necessarily exempt you from your contract with your customer..

This is the part of subbing out that so many speak about when something goes wrong. You are still the person holding the stick and are the only person your customer can complain to for this problem.

I was hoping in my earlier post it wouldn't go in this direction, but you might want to see your own insurance company.... like NOW !! The part about the GM having a better price doesn't bother me because you have a signed contract, but in the same token.... you're violating your own contract due to some unforeseen circumstances and if this wasn't an act of God, you might be in some deep doo-doo.

Even though these guys might be your biggest client, they could quickly become your biggest nightmare. I'd get an expert out there right away and have your attorney send a letter to your subs and let them know... they need to act instantly and stop farting around. It would only take a few minutes to see if a truck or any other object hit this awning first instead of faulty installation. They are stalling and that isn't a good sign [no pun].

Get your paper trail together and start documenting everything, like why they were late, who was on the job, who was the project manager and make sure all of their 'i's and 't's were dotted and crossed. What was the weather like directly after they half-way finished and why wasn't it finished if they only had a small part to go ?? Put the ball back in their court and start demanding the same thing your customer is demanding from you.

Good Luck................. :thumb:

GypsyGraphics

i'm totally with gino on this...
don't wait around for the awning guys to do right by your clients.
the insurance company will do their best to be off-the-hook on this, and it sounds like that's just their hoping for. if the insurance company finds an out, they'll be dishing up that same excuse to you.

those reputable awning guys are looking a little shady about now.

mark galoob

i also think its time for you to get your attorny involved in this. it will cost you a bit, but i believe its time...

mark galoob

SAS

I think I would suck it up and have the part messed up replaced. I would have the awning company replace it, pay them make sure it is installed right this time and move on. Maybe work out a deal and split the cost to replace the awning with the awning company.
It sucks but it could hurt you more in the long run if others find out you don't want to stand behind your work or in this case your subs work.

TheSellOut

SAS...you think I could borrow like $20,000 to $40,000?

Thanks guys, You are definitely right and I will be contacting my attorney and insurance agent tomorrow!

Fitch

In their own town, "everyone's an expert". That's to be expected. What works in Florida does not necessarily work in LA.

Heat (expansion) in some areas, snow (weight) in others.

Whilst this has no reflection on you or your sub comtractors, I always hold one approach and one approach only.

Overengineer. Overengineer. Overenigineer.

Oversee. Oversee. Oversee.

If you want me to put it up - $1000. You want me to take it down - $2000.

Signs that go up are meant to stay up. Period.

Safety paramount and there is no compromise.

Good leeson here people - remember it, and save yourself the angst that Heath is going through.

Keep your chin up buddy.

Cheers - G