• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A 'how to' video on recovering from cross contamination in damper.

96XP

"Having done a print test before getting started, I noticed the Magenta had bled into the yellow side. Once I opened the printer and examined the damper, I could see it was 1/2 mixed (contaminated). It was a situation I would have to attempt myself as the tech guy is a 10 hr. round trip. So I thought to shoot some video of the process and upload it if I succeeded.

Well, I did, so here is that video.
*NOTICE
Please be careful when doing your own repair work. This information is not professional, but to share with others in the event they encounter such a situation under similar conditions."

<em>[video=youtube;herqvmkAfU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=herqvmkAfU0&amp;feature=youtu.be[/video]

phototec

Thanks for making and posting the video, I wish more people would take the time to this to HELP everyone out.

I have read many posts about using a syringe to perform different repair functions, however I have never watched a video showing the syringe in use, I don't have one and think I should get one to have on hand, looks like the tip fit the tubing perfect, where did you get your syringe?

Also, can you explain what caused the contamination in the first place, that is something I want to avoid?

Thanks again for doing this.

:thankyou: :clapping:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Reasons for cross-contamination:

1. Failing Dampers - Dampers keep the proper pressure through out the system. If they are failing, the ink normally wants to recede back to the cartridge. When the damper fails the ink starts to flow back which causes the ink in the cap top to be pulled back as well.

2. Failing Cap top - The cap top tube can be partially clogged causing the ink to pool up in the cap. This creates a siphon effect which makes the ink in the cap flow up towards the head. The cap top sponge can also swell and touch the bottom of the head causing the same effect.

3. Broken Manifold / head membrane - The manifold that channels ink to the head can break inside causing ink to flow between channels. Likewise, the membrane inside he head that separates channels can also break causing the same problem.

4. Backwards pump - This one only happens if you connect the pump tubes in the wrong place. If the pump tube are in the wrong sides, the pump essentially pumps toward the head rather than from it causing ink to be pushed back into the head.

96XP

@ phototec:
As there are always so many unknowns that may further complicate matters, I always search for video instructions first.
A lesson learned when I was 16 and had my first Dodge Challenger. Snapped every stud off the wheels on the drivers side, only to find out when I went to replace them that they were all reverse thread. (true story)
Google hadn't been conceived of yet at that time, however, the first Texas Instruments calculator came to market and was the size of a work boot. Lol

Got the syringe from a local Fiberglass supplier.
That all said, paying it forward :)

@VanderJ
Thank you for helping us out with your addition of expertise to this thread. Parts on order, along with some backups, just in case.