• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A lesson in sales / service

Craig Sjoquist

Ok job is sold and I show up just started my work ..
When another sign person shows up to do some service on a error they made and fixed.
Printing was the other Co. main business not signs, I was my usual friendly & handed them my card in hopes of letting them know I do window splash mainly and was NO threat to them.

Customer comes out and wants more printing work done by other Co. ( has everything in hand ) Other Co. gets upset and says they will not do the work give it to me to do because I'm now doing a sign ( window splash ) ????/

The other Co. lost the customer because customer got upset at the printing Co. for being so child like and since I don't do any print work at all and only design for self. I'm not even thinking about wanting it.

Besides I've never gone after other sign co. work when I know who does it or it's being done correctly enough well at least not intensional even if I see someone bidding on a job or worked for another sign co. on a job I stay away. that's only ethical.

I do go after window splash but there is only 3 people in town that do that here and no I do not go after there customers either .....intensionally

So the lesson is do not get upset if someone is doing something even if you also do, you lose a customer.

To bad they did a nice job to. customer was happy with them. till then.

cdiesel

Well said Craig. There's plenty of work out there. We do work for a couple of companies that do a ton of business. So much so that a couple of sign companies work together to take care of their needs. Plenty of work to go around.

Sign_Boy

I'm friends with a few other sign people local to me.
Would never go after their work.
In fact we help each other out quite often.
IMO that's a good thing.

G-Artist

I am on that page. Never steal work.

I have a symbiotic relationship with several other sign companies. We always throw work to each other and work co-operatively where we overlap. Our worst arguments is who owes who a beer when it comes to how much/many referrals we made amongst us all.

signmeup

I make carved signs for a local sign shop and he does my vinyl printing. Works for us. Better that than being enemies.

modernmav

I'm friends with a few other sign people local to me.
Would never go after their work.
In fact we help each other out quite often.
IMO that's a good thing.

Definitely agreed. We've worked together very frequently and will always help each other out when needed. Its really the best way to go about things IMO

"Deposit Please"

Well, we're all helping each other out on here, thats awesome. I don't look at other sign guys as competitors, i hate that word. Just don't move next door to me & we'll be good.