• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A little help in outlining?

brdss

Fair enough, Gino, as I can except some of what you are saying. I did not take what you were saying as trying to be funny. Don't mind criticism at all as long as it is helpful. Telling someone that it is crap, but not saying anything about why it is crap, especially when it is not asked for in the first place, is just childish. Now let me explain MY thought process.

As for the white overwhelming the grey, that is why I suggested cutting around the tooth in the first place, so there actually will be very little white showing. They WANT the grey to be understated. The original thought from the customer was having all the grey cut out, no white whatsoever. I thought, that on the light tinted glass, it would blend in and not look like a tooth at all, as that is what they want it to look like. You may say it is being lazy on my part doing it that way, but I thought it was the best option with what we have to work with. This is not a sign that will be seen from 30' away. At the most, 10' viewing distance and closer.

The artwork is what they use on all of their business forms and business cards, and is what they want. Not going to talk them out of it. We have been printing their small format printing stuff for years.

Now, maybe you misunderstood what I said about the pricing. What I was saying is that the graphic is costing them $40. That is NOT INCLUDING INSTALLATION. I guess, after rereading, I could have been clearer about that. Now, I did not think when pricing it out that it would take very long to correct the artwork, so did not include any additional time for that. Just as a side note, the dentist is the husband of a very good print customer of ours that just gave us a $15,000 order for small format printing, so the last thing we want to do is highball the pricing on this single small window graphic.

Are we new to the large format side of this business? Darn right we are! That is why I stepped into a more hands on part of the business and am now dealing hands on with the graphics designer. Do I know her job? As I stated in the first post, no I do not. That is why I posted it on here, to get some confirmation on what my gut was telling me, that it is a 10 minute job, not an hour + job. Don't know about you, but I do want to be sure I am being fed a line of BS before we take the actions required to correct it.

Richard G

Tooth.jpg

I don't know what programs your using but if I go to Flexi and take your jpeg and outline it remove the lettering and outline the items making up the tooth until they touch i can them uncompound the image and work out the curves as I have in the image below. this was a total of about 4 minutes in flexi alone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure this could be achieved with digital printing, but if your client is after understated elegance, then why not suggest etched vinyl for the icons, your copy in dark grey with a white outline ?? Never suggested eliminating anything except that huge white outline on the tooth which will be behind all of those grey icons. Too much white no matter how you look at it.

Here's where I got my idea of you're not doing the installation.....
And for the price (before I knew we were going to have the time into changing the artwork) I priced it out at $40 to print out the 18" tall decal. Not installing it. You say that it should have been $125 for it?

The finished job, executed correctly could be worth $175 to $200. That is certainly not 'Highballing' as you put it. What you have there, isn't worthy of going on glass regardless of using your designer or even if you print it out and hand- cut it. Your having just gotten a $15,000 job from his wife has no bearing on doing a job in the manner you're going about it. Rather than being concerned of hurting his feelings for a few dollars, I'd be more worried about hurting his image with that thing you have posted.

Do a first class job, especially if this is to be in return for other work, but make sure the finished product is worthy of ANY price you conjure up.

brdss

yes, as I said, could have stated it better, as I should have used a comma, not the period. Like $40 for the decal, NOT INSTALLING IT.

I do like your etched vinyl idea, but do you think on tinted glass it would stand out?

Well, when it is done, I guess I will snap a few pics and post them, see how bad it gets ripped to shreds, lol.

Personally, I do not think it will look like "a large blob" as you so put it. I guess we shall see.