• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A little Illy help, please?

Circleville Signs

Hey folks - I'm afraid that I may already know the answer to this question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways :thankyou:

In photoshop, you can use the bevel effect to get really nice "prismatic" lettering.

Is there a way to do this in Illy as well, without having to physically DRAW all of the bevels with the pen tool? Or is there a way to take the vector shape layer that you beveled in PS and move it to Illy as a VECTOR shape?

Thanks in advance!

ucmj22

Hey folks - I'm afraid that I may already know the answer to this question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways :thankyou:

In photoshop, you can use the bevel effect to get really nice "prismatic" lettering.

Is there a way to do this in Illy as well, without having to physically DRAW all of the bevels with the pen tool? Or is there a way to take the vector shape layer that you beveled in PS and move it to Illy as a VECTOR shape?

Thanks in advance!

I havent found a way, and hate anything 3D in Illy! maybe its me, but I cant get the 3D tools & effects to do anything right.

Jim Doggett

Thanks in advance!

http://www.fontspace.com/category/Chisel

ucmj22

That's what I was afraid of :(

I hate Illy's 3d tools as well. But I really need this piece to be vector. Eff me.

could you use a prismatic font? its not like photoshop, but could work.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-06 at 10.07.42 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-06 at 10.07.42 AM.png
    41 KB · Views: 77

Circleville Signs

I'm trying to use the font LHF Antique Shop - I could spend 5 hours pen drawing all of the bevels, but I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a dirty spork.....

signmeup

Illy doesn't bevel but Corel does. It's really just a bitmap effect though. I tried auto vectoring the result and it worked pretty darned good. Would get you close to the final product then just a little cleanup. This is no help if you don't have Corel though. email the text to me and I'll do it up for you when I get back from the install I have to do right after lunch.

Circleville Signs

Well, here's what I came up with. This is for a branch off of the sign shop for myself - just design work only.

Feedback on the design is appreciated, however more concerned with how the trace from the PS file turned out on the text "Design Haus".

Thanks for the offers on doing these up for me in your software everyone! I'm emailing files :)

Attachments

• Logo.png
    Logo.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 83

Circleville Signs

Thanks folks! For those of you who aren't premium subscribers, I'll post some revisions here - just so you can see what type of great feedback you can get in the premium section!

REVISION 1

Attachments

• Logo_REV1.png
    Logo_REV1.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 103

Circleville Signs

Allright - 2nd revision based on the excellent feedback over in Premium - trying to tie the fonts together a bit better and tighten things up some...

Attachments

• Logo_REV2.png
    Logo_REV2.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 100

cajunaviator

Just my 2 cents, but it appears you will have to print the art. Create the text in illy at the size you need it to be, export the text as an eps, open the eps text in photoshop at your desired resolution, apply the 3D bevel effect and save it as a tiff with no compression. Import the tiff into illy, line it up with the original vector text and mask. Now you can apply a contour cut to the text if needed. I do this with all of my print and cut lettering and graphics that I need to contour cut.

Vinylman

Would this help?

Circleville;
I created this in less than 10 minutes in XARA, then exported to Illustrator for print and cut, as a svg file.

Attachments

• DESIGN-HAUS.jpg
    DESIGN-HAUS.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 98

wmshuman

I know this is an old thread but I don't understand why you don't layout the vector design (sized) in Illustrator, then import into Photoshop and add your effects. As long as you merge your layers together (not flatten) and still have a transparent background, you can contour the design out without any effort. At least it works that way in Flexi.

ashleighfiddler

:goodpost: BAM!!
Just my 2 cents, but it appears you will have to print the art. Create the text in illy at the size you need it to be, export the text as an eps, open the eps text in photoshop at your desired resolution, apply the 3D bevel effect and save it as a tiff with no compression. Import the tiff into illy, line it up with the original vector text and mask. Now you can apply a contour cut to the text if needed. I do this with all of my print and cut lettering and graphics that I need to contour cut.