• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A little Side project for the wife

I have a little project I'm am doing at home. I wanted to get some opinions or ideas how how I should mount these. *see attached pic

What we are doing is installing these vintage window guards in the entry foyer of our home on each side. instead of some boring trim-work. They will be mounted fairly high up, about 16-18; to the top. they measure 48" X 65" They weigh about 100 lbs each. I need to drop them at the powder coaters, so i need to get these brackets done. I don't want the hardware or brackets visible if possible. Not sure if we want it to be stood off or flush mounted yet, leaning more toward flush mounted.

I'm thinking about fabricating the mounting hardware from thick gauge box steel. I have three studs that it will span across. My idea is to fabricate three " J " mounts that would have two lag bolts each into the studs, and then a set screw underneath that would tap into the top cross bar of the window guard.

Whats your guys thoughts or ideas out there?

Attachments

• e109300.jpg
    e109300.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 98
here is a pic of the bracket i drew up real quick, give you a better visual of what I'm thinking about doing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 73

Brush Slinger

Should work I'd also consider a couple hooks on the bottom rail as well.. keep anyone or thing from swing it away from the wall which could rip the lags out of the studs. 3/16" thick would be my choice. The whole piece looks quite stout... love old iron. Are you coating in a flat or matte black?

Post up some pics when finished.. :thumb:

thanks for the insight, yeah i was thinking adding something to the bottom as well to keep it more stable/secure. Yeah it will be a matte black finish. I def. will follow up and post some pics. up it may be a few weeks, Ive only had these things for several months the wife is on me to get it done.......worse than a customer.....