• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A mix / mash of ideas.

Joe Diaz

So a very good client, so good that they have actually became good family friends over the years, came in to get some work done. They are always grateful, they never complain about price (other than we didn't charge them enough). You know, the perfect customer... Except one thing.... When they want something designed, they want to try to combine 5 or 6 ideas into one design. Ideas that don't always work together.

They are a farm that wants to start selling their ice-cream at farmers markets and the county and state fairs. They originally wanted to be called "Raging Bull Homemade Ice Cream" I explained to him, that even though the bull has sentimental value to them, it doesn't really scream ice cream to most people. But they really want "Raging Bull" as the name. They also wanted to include imagery of their grandchildren with viking helmets on. Again, the viking thing has sentimental value, that has to do with their heritage. So here is what we came up with:

Thorson Farms Ice Cream.jpg

There is more to it then I usually like to include on a logo, but everything on it is something that they really wanted. I chose to downplay the "Raging Bull" as the main part of the name, and instead make it primarily read as Thorson's Farm Ice Cream. A. because the Farm thing sells and B. because they are already pretty well known as Thorson's Farm in the area. It was tricky, but I think I got it all crammed in there.

Jillbeans

I like how you shadowed the lettering in the circle because it reminds me of an old ice machine.
Love the kid.
Would like to see him tilted just a bit so his "horn" is not blocking the name Thorson, maybe with the right cone between Thorson and Farm.
I don't think it needs the little lightning bolt thingies.
But it's good as-is too.
I really like the colors...I would buy their ice cream.
That was a lot to incorporate into one idea!
Love.....Jill

HulkSmash

Awesome job. I really like it. I think it may be a bit too complicated for a logo? Any way you can simplify it.. but as usual spot on design.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think it looks great. I might try making the one horn [closest to us] a little smaller so it doesn't cover so much of the 'O'........ and I would mute the band the 'Raging Bull Brand' is on to maybe a maroon or another color. The red tends to be a focal color and your eye goes back and forth from his helmet to the band and I think you want the other copy to be more noticeable.

Joe Diaz

Yeah, I think I will try to shrink that cone a bit. I tired shrinking the entire head, but it didn't look as good, and however I rotated it, it made it harder to read. So making the cone shorter will probably be the best solution.

I'm okay with the red being a focal point, having that part be on red and stand out is probably my best bet for selling them on having "Thorson's Farm" be at the top. It's a compromise really.

Oh and the lightning bolts, also were requested LOL. That goes with the Viking/Thor thing they want to have represented.

Joe Diaz

The whole thing has been about giving them what they really want, even if it's just symbolic, but at the same time creating something that will appeal to everyone else, since the sentimental things to this family isn't really important to their customer. I'm hoping the silliness of it will appeal to people, especially kids.

Joe Diaz

Can you just flip his head? The right cone looks a bit smaller.

Yeah I tried it every which way. It would block the A. Having it in front of the "O" was the lesser of evils, because it still reads as an "O" better than any of the other letters when they are partially covered. (in my opinion anyway) SO, I'll try what Gino suggested, just shrink it a bit. Then it won't obstruct any of the letters. :thumb:

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I think its great, but maybe one very minor change. To me, it looks like the kid is just sticking his tongue out. Maybe tweak it like this so he is licking his lips.

Attachments

• Screen-shot-2013-04-02-at-10.27.jpg
    Screen-shot-2013-04-02-at-10.27.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 88

Marlene

that looks amazing considering the ragging bull/viking/grand kid/ice cream combo. the cones look like it could be bull horns or viking. since the general public won't have some standing there explaining this whole strange combo of stuff that means everything to them and nothing to anyone else, I think you did a great job. without you explaining it, I would have guessed the cones where horns because of the name ragging bull. that's a good thing as this needs to work for the general public and it does.

DrCAS

I think this looks really good considering the parameters that the clients gave you. Yes, very nice, indeed.

GB2

Old Member
Joe, I really like what you did with the character and the general idea but I'm not quite sold on the Raging Bull part. I don't really see the big problem with Thorson's Farm Raging Bull Ice Cream and incorporating a bull character or the bull theme a little more, although I do see the difficulty in trying to use too many characters and a raging bull might detract from the cute factor unless he was a cute raging bull. After all, what do Red Bulls have to do with cafeine drinks, what does a horse have to do with Ferrari cars, what does a bull have to do with Lamborgini cars, what does a Camel have to do with cigarettes? To have the Raging Bull Brand banner with nothing else to tie it in leaves me a little puzzled...oh, except the cone horns, which I see as a viking helmet and not as bulls horns, maybe because you put that thought in my head before seeing the image. The Raging Bull Brand banner that you have there seems to make less sense to me than using a kid riding a bull and calling it Raging Bull Ice Cream.