• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A online color test, how well can you see colors?

phototec

Wow, 30 years working in the graphics business and I still have it.

Scored a "0" (perfect score).....

Attachments

• X-Rite Color Test 12-31-2015 (perfect score 0).jpg
    X-Rite Color Test 12-31-2015 (perfect score 0).jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 105

phototec

I must admit being a graphic designer, I do use a pair of calibrated 22" monitors, and use the X-Rite iOne Pro to calibrate my monitors, however I do believe a test like this where you are comparing color hues of squares and should only be comparing the colors of each square and the color on the left and right of each square, I think this can been done on just about any monitor, because if the colors are off they are all off together, it's all in your eye and brain.

BALLPARKSIGNS

Just tried it, must have a good monitor or something!
attachment.php

Sweet!

What monitor do you have?

I use an LG 42" HD LED screen and sometimes it messes with some of the colors. I like to design on large screens, but it does have it's downfall.

I got a 10... :(

slopoke

Thanks for posting this! I've got a new employee that's been asking to take a color test but most of them seemed too easy to bother with so I hadn't had her take any of them. I got a 0 and she scored a 4. Looks like I may have gotten a good one, LOL.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We did this a while back and I got a seven. One of the graphic designers got a zero. An account manager got a three. The owner got a 90. Haha!

signmeup

I got 7. I'm 55 so I expected a little degradation. Maybe if I cleaned my glasses I would do better.

I think it's a neat test but I think we would all have to take it on the same monitor to be really valid. I've sent the link to some friends and colleagues.

I'm going to get my wife to take the test. She says I can't see colours properly. We'll see...

Adrian

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I really don't think what type of monitor or how it is calibrated is important. You could do this on a black and white TV and should have the same outcome....you're only comparing each cube to the left and right of each other. May take longer, since you can't begin by grouping all of one hue with the others, but still should be able to pull this off even in black and white.

EDIT: Disregard. Won't work in Black and White... lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I really don't think what type of monitor or how it is calibrated is important. You could do this on a black and white TV and should have the same outcome....you're only comparing each cube to the left and right of each other. May take longer, since you can't begin by grouping all of one hue with the others, but still should be able to pull this off even in black and white.

That's a good theory, but I doubt it would work. You've now introduced a monochromatic scale and that's not what this is about. Most colors will have a matching monochrome level regardless of the hue they emit. For instance, my Dad was color blind, but they didn't know it, til he went for an engineer's test on a locomotive, back in the late 40's. He knew which light was on and he knew it was the top or bottom chamber, but he didn't know the color. Therefore he failed. The hues will most definitely play tricks on your eyes, but if you're not color impaired, you should at least get the same hue on the correct side of the screen. For him red and green looked almost identical. On a monochrome level, they could easily be 100% identical. Your eyes are either trained or not.

Andy D

EDIT: Disregard. Won't work in Black and White... lol

For the most part I agree, but a monitor that's able to display twice as many colors should be easier to test on... to a point.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
I wonder what the average time is to take the test.

Can we add a poll to this so it doesn't get highjacked?

And yes, everything is a race.

Andy D

I wonder what the average time is to take the test.

Can we add a poll to this so it doesn't get highjacked?

And yes, everything is a race.

Is that something I can do as the OP?
BTW it took me about twenty minutes
because I kept backing up to look at it, and then getting within
2 inches of the screen and tweaking... :omg: