• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A recycling idea

GoodPeopleFlags

For years I've thrown away the cardboard tubes that the vinyl and banner material are rolled on. I hated to do it but didn't know what to do with them. Yesterday I put them on CraigsList in the "Free Stuff" section. What a response! Hope to get rid of all I have today and they will hopefully be turned into kids' art projects. Just thought I would pass the idea along!

(I know, I know... everything ends up in the landfill eventually. So it's not really "recycling", I guess. But it makes me feel better than just throwing them away.)

Fitch

OK... so here is a weird one.

Wet a couple down... to paper mache consistency. Put them in a 12" tub and "squash" down evenly. Let dry. You now have a quite thin "slab". Put them aside.

Next time you need a post structure installed, put them in bottom of the hole as "levellers" so both posts are level, before concreting.

GREAT SHIMS !!!!!!!!!!!!! For free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

We have been giving our tubes to our church and some local schools for the past couple of years. We also give them the backing from laminate as table covers for when doing painting projects. Teachers love it.

rfulford

Yea, it really is a shame to throw this stuff away when so many people can find a use for it. A good friend of mine took several tubes off of my hands for use with the Indian Princesses. He cut up the tubes and gave a section to each girl who then created a totem pole piece. Later at an outing, they assembled a large totem pole and told stories about each piece they made. I thought this was a really great idea.

GoodPeopleFlags

Yea, it really is a shame to throw this stuff away when so many people can find a use for it. A good friend of mine took several tubes off of my hands for use with the Indian Princesses. He cut up the tubes and gave a section to each girl who then created a totem pole piece. Later at an outing, they assembled a large totem pole and told stories about each piece they made. I thought this was a really great idea.

Tell them they can also make rainsticks out of them. There are instructions online. :)

gnatt66

we store posters waiting for framing in them. lots of people come in asking for shipping tubes for art...we always have enough to share. :)

Malkin

We have a local teacher who works with the mentally disabled pick up our excess tubes and scrap bit/end rolls of colored vinyl, to make colorful rainsticks with.

Clear Choice

:clapping:And I thought I was the only one with recycling fever!
I hate to throw away stuff. Cut vinyl really drives me crazy...
so little of the vinyl is really used and so much just thrown away.

I save the tubes, the plastic end caps and lots of the weeded
vinyl pieces and cut-offs.
Give them to teachers or Sunday School classes.

:Big Laugh Now if I could only find a use for those little plastic hangers
that are used to display socks in the retail stores...
I have a box full of them!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Cardboard Tubes

After pitching out a bunch of these things, I've begun to build with them. The one pictured below holds useable pieces of pounce paper and vinyl. Every time I empty a roll, I get out the Elmer's and glue on a new one. When I get it finished, I'll give it a quick coat of paint.

Jim

Attachments

• Tubes.JPG
    Tubes.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 98

mark galoob

each new one becomes my new digeridoo till another new one pops up.

the backing from lam gets used as fill material for packing boxes...

mark galoob