• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A&S Font Robbery

sardocs

A client sent me this link to show me what he wants on the back of his new yacht. It looks like "Captain John" has a font that is "borrowed" from our friend Steve at A&S.

Attachments

• stolen font.jpg
    stolen font.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 126

sardocs

Well, I bought the font as "Cricket" from A&S. They are reselling it as Jazzy. Maybe there is no issue, I just thought it seemed funny to see it listed with a different name.

Steve C.

I appreciate the attention to this matter. Capt. John's is a regular customer
of Signfonts. He has paid for all the fonts he uses. It appears that he is offering
it as a choice for Boat lettering and not a font for sale. Not sure about the
name change, but I will contact him to see what is the deal. Pretty sure it
is nothing to be concerned about. but I am thankful when friends let me know
about font theft. BTW, I think he is a member here.

Mosh

BTW, your fonts ROCK!, I use the ones I got from you all the time and plan to get some more soon!

bjones

Shouldn't jump to such fast conclusions and make accusations, it's not anyone here's job to publicly police things like this unless you are absolutely positive what you are stating is true. Now you know the person did purchase the fonts, but really that's nobody's business but his and now there's a thread on the internet forever painting him in a bad way. (I have no idea who captain john is by the way)

Nothing wrong with looking out for each other, but un-provable knee jerk public witch hunts are not cool IMHO. If you must, take it private to the person concerned.

Sorry to have such a reaction to this, but it seems more and more prevalent on just about every site I frequent for people to do this and too many good people doing the right thing end up getting hurt by it even though the original intent is in itself meant to be good.

One real question I have from it all though that really has me curious, if I pay for a font and I choose to offer it as an option in artwork (not selling the font itself, just creating artwork that uses it which usually is part of a font license) does it really matter what I call that font or can I give it a name that fits my company's theme when used? The customer doesn't know it's real name or care really, they just want something 'retro' or whatever.