• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A simple file format makes a huge difference on color!

jman

Just wanted to post this for comparison for you guys. I have a Roland Versacamm SP-I series and found out why a print/cut file with this same blue came out beautiful and a small sign with the same came out washed out.

The file that came out great was saved as a EPS and the washed out file was PDF. I saved the PDF as a EPS and wow what a difference.

Who knew haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 119

AF

Your color management settings are different for each file type which explains the difference in output.

Correct Color

What AF said is entirely true.

There is no difference between file types in how color prints. Only in color spaces.

What is true is that PDF's carry embedded color space information, and EPS files do not.

I'll just hazard a guess here that what happened is that you've got VersaWorks set to Max Impact, and since there's nothing in the EPS file telling it not to use those silly Roland-created color spaces, it does.

You may like it better, but it may not be the color the client wants.

Just something to keep in mind.

Mike

Bigdawg

Just Me
We used to have an eps workflow, but changed to PDF several years ago. We saw no difference in our prints. (now ask me about the time we accidentally deleted all our profiles - talk about trying to match colors!) The other comments are correct - it is the color space, not the file format.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Its possible that you changed from cmyk to rgb in your document. That's the only reason I know why a color would be so different.
Btw I never ever print from PDFs. I always convert them to eps.
I had a few problems with pdfs before, like the time when there were some hidden layers that did not show up in acrobat reader (when i checked the file) but it printed on the printer.
Also if the artboard size is not correct and save something as pdfs then the printer won't see anything outside the artboard

boxerbay

when you save as PDF there should be a screen that pops up show what PDF settings to save as. It could be that your altering the colorspace when you are saving. The advantage of EPS over PDF is that you can send your client the actual PRINT PDF and they can view it without any special software. An EPS file a lot of clients cannot open so you have to create a second file in PDF for them. So what your client sees may not match your production EPS. in illustrator use illustrator default pdf setting. it has no color conversion and no downsampling.