• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A small printer?

gtcway

Is there such a thing as a small, cheap printer? I mean cheap compared to the monster printers I see. I would like to be able to print decals but could not possibly afford one of the big printers. I'm looking for something maybe 24" or a little smaller.

Pro Image

Roland PC-600 Resin Printer (outdoor)
Encad Chroma 24 Inkjet Printer (indoor, limited outdoor)

Almost forgot the EDGE System

Flame

Signwarehouse has some small Mutoh's (ahem... prismjet's) that are pretty affordable. It all depends on what you call affordable though. Just keep in mind they are always going to cost more than a plotter, and a plotter can cost you $4,000 - $6,000 easily. So I would say if you want a good printer that won't cost you and arm and a leg to operate, it's still going to be atleast $8,000-$9,000. Minimum.

Not every sign guy can afford a printer. I couldn't but I bought one anyway. lol. Now that I have one it's a whole different story. You can just sit in front of it and watch the money roll out of it...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Before you blow a few thousand on a small printer/cutter, think about what/who you want to target. If small decals are all you want, than just about anything will suffice. If you look at the possibilities down the road, after locals know you have this new capability and your quality is good, you’ll be asked to do things that your ‘small, cheap printer’ won’t be able to handle. Most people that I’ve talked to or saw written on other posts, are all selling their small printers and upgrading to fulfill their almost overnight requests of bigger projects. Sub them out for a little while and see what area your needs really are. Instead of spending a few thousand, needlessly [and not getting back what you paid for it], put it into the machine that suits your studied needs. No need to get a 54", 60" or 72", but at least look into 30" machines. Heck I see them going for $7,000.00 now and only a year old.

Like FlameMaster said...

Not every sign guy can afford a printer. I couldn't but I bought one anyway. lol. Now that I have one it's a whole different story. You can just sit in front of it and watch the money roll out of it...[/quote said:
Your workload will increase as you can meet all of your customers orders.

Good Luck. :thumb:

Cadmn

You can just sit in front of it and watch the money roll out of it...[/quote]FlameMaster isn't that called counterfitting &will get you 20+years in the big house :Big Laugh

Flame

Cadmn said:
You can just sit in front of it and watch the money roll out of it...
FlameMaster isn't that called counterfitting &will get you 20+years in the big house :Big Laugh[/quote]

LOL. Yeah, but are you gonna tell them?:rolleyes:

hehehe.

JK. You know what I mean. The thing is a money maker, just not literally (I don't think I could get the same quality).

JWILLIS

A good fargo 310 s does a fine job.. only thing it will not
diecut...

It is a theramal printer outdoor life is 5 years...

Ive got 3....

average cost per 11" x 24" sheet full color is $2.00

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If you can't afford it maybe you should wait a bit longer.
The printers will only lower in price and then you can get the
appropriate one for what you do. What do you want to do with it and at what size? are you leaning towards thermal transfer or inkjet?

Cadmn

Flame Master said:
FlameMaster isn't that called counterfitting &will get you 20+years in the big house :Big Laugh

LOL. Yeah, but are you gonna tell them?:rolleyes: .[/quote]Not if you share LOL wife went to one of those check cashing places last night & woman was in there trying to cash counterfit money orders.Interesting

sunco

alps printers work for decals. They are thermal, and you have to laminate, but they are good outside for years. $150
Fred

Flame

Cadmn said:
LOL. Yeah, but are you gonna tell them?:rolleyes: .
Not if you share LOL wife went to one of those check cashing places last night & woman was in there trying to cash counterfit money orders.Interesting[/quote]

Man, I could make so many things with the equipment I've got. I mean, you could get away with a lot! I have morals though and will never make anything illegal. Just for kicks though I've tried making a: snowboarding season pass, fake drivers license, tabs for my license plate and a parking permit for a local high school. Laughed at it and got rid of it.

I have actually had "customers" come in and ask for stuff like that. All of the above mentioned products have been things these people have asked me to make. I scan their stuff in, tell them the material has a anti-scan coating (not really though) and remind them they will probably go to jail for this and I won't be of any part of it. I considered making this one kid a season pass for a ski resort that he wanted, but purposely make it a fake. Small enough that the kid wouldn't notice, but enough to get him BUSTED first time he tried to use it. Then thought better of it and just told him no.

Anyone else have someone ask for something like this?

Blazingsun

Ive been making small short run decals on my epson r1800 and laminating them then die cutting them on my gx-24 have had several outside now for six months now in direct sun light with no sign of any fade or water damage.

signmeup

Ogriv said:
I thought the Alps were discontinued??
They are but you might still be able to get one through their exchange/repair program. You buy a junker off ebay then send it to ALPS for "repair". They send you a brand new printer.(For a fee of course). I have 2 and I use them to make decals for model planes that I sell. I've made a lot of money with my ALPS. I print on clear 2 mil vinyl (KPMF)then laminate it with same. They do about 8.5" wide by about 14" long but that's fine for a lot of decal work. They print foils and white too.

Adrian

TresL

Blazingsun: What are using for media....

I am looking for some aggressive adhesive inkjet media in 13x19 sheets.

Blazingsun

TresL said:
Blazingsun: What are using for media....

I am looking for some aggressive adhesive inkjet media in 13x19 sheets.

Im Using roll media, I bought Perma jet 4 mil vinyl and Inteli coat Magic 2 mil Cast gloss Lamnate from Fellers, I trimed the 36" wide roll down to 13" wide.

The r1800 has a roll option that allowes you to print 13"x44" it has been working pretty good for small short run decals.

I know Beacon Graphics has some IJ DuraGraphix DG Adhesive Backed Value Vinyl, 3.5 mil haven't tried it yet.