• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

a small Saturday morning rant.

gabagoo

In Toronto a few years ago the rulers that be, put in a lame law that says to reduce landfill waste retailers could charge a nickel for a bag.
Thats right a nickel, a whole plug nickel....this is to deter me?

Now in all honesty you cant tell me that 1,000,000 plastic shopping bags melted down would take up that much space, besides what about all the plastic water bottles, etc...

OK I'm all for being green and the idea is that you bring your own bags or buy those cloth bags.

Then we get reports that the cloth bags are disgustingly full of bacteria as you use them over and over and who knows what juices (chicken) or other foreign mater sticks to the inside of the bags...so now you must spend your green savings to wash the damn things.

OK, so now this lame law is in efect for Toronto, but all the little communities encircling the city decide, hey we will be green too and charge a nickel for a .003 cent bag ( if that).

Here's the thing... The city brings this law into effect but says the retailer does not have to give the money to the city and can keep it for themselves.
Now I'm sorry but if your keeping it for yourself, then your overcharging basically. if I buy a product...., is not part of the price to put it in something I can carry it home with? how about a paper bag eh?
Now grocery stores charge for bags but they dont charge for the clear plastic bags you put fruit and vegies in...wtf....

So anyways I suppose something is better than nothing, but one day I will pull up to a drive through and order a coffee and get to the window and they will say do you need a cup? that will be 10 cents extra.

I guess all I am saying is that if you want to charge for a bag then charge me $2.00 and then I will make sure I have a few with me, but a nickel, a whole nickel is not really going to make me go out of the way to bring any with me.

This morning at Home Depot I bought 4 rolls of masking tape and 2 spray bottles. No cash's are open except the self serve... the scanner cant pick up the water bottles and a girl comes over to help me, then I see no bags to put the stuff in. She says I have to pay a nickel. I told her Lowes doesnt charge for a bag..... .
I then try and carry the stuff out without a bag and juggle it a bit and it falls all over the checkout floor lol to bad it wasnt paint or something that would spill and make a nice big mess!!! hmmmm gives me an idea.....

end of rant over and out!!!:thankyou:

Sticky Signs

Maybe that other guy from Toronto can melt down the bags to make his circle and square shapes. I'm thinking it could be done in about an hour and at competitive pricing too!!!

saktrnch

I try to boycott, as much as I can, stores that don't have paper bags. Trees are a renewable resource, and the loggers are home boys that can use the work anyway.

omgsideburns

Around here the grocery stores will give you like 30 cents off for every cloth bag you fill with groceries.. You end up saving a buck or two.

CES020

Around here the grocery stores will give you like 30 cents off for every cloth bag you fill with groceries.. You end up saving a buck or two.

Price savings on bags = .30 cents each
Getting E Coli from the filthy bacteria infested cloth bag = priceless :Big Laugh

showcase 66

We had an article in our paper a while ago about walmart is going to get rid of their plastic bags int April here. You will be required to have your own bags or purchase the fabric ones. Suppose to save a ton of plastic from the landfill. I think it is a ploy to save money for their fat wallets. Of course if I am only getting a couple of things I usually dont use a bag. Charging for a bag is kinda dumb to me. If they want a law about saving the environment from plastic bags then they should make it required to recycle them. One of the HOA's around here has a mandatory recycling rule. You are not allowed to throw away aluminum cans, plastic bags, plastic bottles, or newspaper. They actually have someone check the trash from time to time. The proceeds they get from recycling lowers the cost of their yearly fees.

gabagoo

the best way to avoid the charge is to wait until the checkout person tells you how much you owe, then you pay using interact or credit card, then you say HEY can I have a bag. They say...oh thats a nickel and then you pull out the credit card or debit card...they wont process it cause they lose money he hehe

You know I would pay a nickel for a paper bag no prob...makes good fireplace starter!!!

Bradster941

Stop excepting the bag and put all the items back into the shopping cart and push it out to your car. An employee will cost them money by having to go out and get the cart.
If every body did this, bags would soon become free again.

Last edited:

saktrnch

Stop excepting the bag and put all the items back into the shopping cart and push it out to your car. An employee will cost them money by having to go out and get the cart.

+2

Last edited by a moderator:

kage

Thats great!
I dont groc. shop much..are a terrible cook.We pay a nickel too...so I decline the bag and stuff my groceries in my pockets..sweater...wherever they fit...lol, get alot of funny looks walking out and only been harrased by security once..lol...I make sure i keep my reciept of course.:toasting:

p.s , dont try this with frozen or leaky foods...

Si Allen

At the supermarket where I shop they say "Paper or plastic?"

I say "It doesn't matter because I am bisackual!"

Some times it takes a few seconds before it sinks in and then they laugh!

Raulrdz

Our city enacted an ordinance prohibiting pastic bags, except for food establishments that seel "to go". Merchants charge and environmental fee of $1 per sale if you want plastic. But after 6 months all plastic bags will be gone and so will the fee.