Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A smooth mistral/staccato

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by The Vector Doctor, Oct 14, 2009.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    I run across this all the time. Look at the attached sample. This is a Mistral/Staccato font but the letters are much smoother. Not the first time I've run across it.

Does anyone know of a version that looks like this? My 2 versions and the ones shown at myfonts appear much bumpier

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    I wonder if that's the Gerber version of Mistral. I will check tomorrow if you haven't figured it out by then.

3. redline graphics

redline graphics Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Winnipeg
    Mistral. Casmate version. exact. Its a honor to help the Dr.!!!!

4. redline graphics

redline graphics Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Winnipeg
    :notworthy:Do you need a vector of this??

5. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    casmate had a weird way of dealing with fonts, like some folders full of fonts only casmate could read...

...but when scanvec bought amiable & decided to discontinue development of casmate, in favor of continuing Flexi, they offered a great "crossgrade" price to casmate users, like me...

...so, in the decision making process i verified that not only would Flexi open all my casmate files, they also assured me that Flexi would come with ALL the casmate fonts, in a more standard format like TTF (or type 1? ..I'm not sure which) that would be installed in the system's font folder, accessible to all programs, unlike casmates old methods...

..so, if the casmate version really does the trick for Eric, besides a vector version from redline (& I think we all agree no "intellectual property" rights would apply to that any more) ...maybe someone could look at their flexi fonts as well to determine if a .ttf version may be available to purchase somehow?

6. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio

No, I traced it. Obviously a scanvec font does me no good and don't send me anything. Remember, fonts are not to be shared

I was hoping/thinking it was a free knockoff

7. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    since you mentioned "not the first time", I figured maybe it wouldn't be the last so I thought it would be worth my attempts to help dig for "the rest of the story"

...and remember, the DMCA (digital millennium copyright act) made special provisions for lifting copyright protection against abandoned products like Casmate, who's fonts were all part & parcel with the now-unprotected software... so a vector copy of that is as fair game to us, as rounding off the edges to make it fair for them ever was...

8. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I still use Scanvec Inspire 1.6, and this is what it looks like for me:

Attached Files:

9. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    For future reference, it appears that the Gerber version of Mistral is also smooth, like in the sample in the OP. At least mine is anyway.