• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A stupid question about lamination

ewerk

Hi guys,

This may be a basic question but I've unable to find the answer to it.

If I use a three year laminate on a thermal print designed to last five years, what happens after the expected three years?

I know it will offer much reduced UV protection after that time but will the laminate discolour or shrink? i.e. will it have a detrimental effect on the decal behind it and reduce the five year life expectancy?

ewerk

Thanks Pat.

Basically we're making decals for engineering equipment, edged on Avery 600.

The customer has now requested that we now laminate the decal to give them enhanced abrasion protection and suggested Intercoat 303p that offers a 'durability' of three years.

We've spoken to our supplier who doesn't recommend using a '3 year' laminate on a 5 year and he believes it will shrink at a different rate to the vinyl and will reduce the overall life expectancy of the decal.

I've told this to the customer and they've come back and told me that another decal supplier has told them that using the 3 year laminate should be fine.

I'm just not sure who is correct in this instance. At the end of the day we'll manufacture to whatever spec they want but I'd prefer to be giving them the correct advice with which to make their decision.

jtrainor56

On your invoice or quote, make a note that you recommended a specific laminate but the client requested Intercoat and make sure he signs it, this way it won't come back and bite you later on.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If the end product is going to be subject to external violence other than just being there, and I would suspect that to be the case since the client wants more abrasion protection, then the decal is going to fail far sooner than the materials themselves will fail. A decal benignly just sitting there will, generally, last far longer than the material's longevity numbers.

In other words, don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

Moreover, precious few supplier's representatives know enough about their merchandise to offer any sort of cogent advice at this level. They're order takers, nothing more.

CanuckSigns

you can mix the 2 products, no need to worry, I wouldn't expect it to prolong the life of the decal, it's more the help stop damage from minor abrasion, it certainly won't shorten the lifespan. If you are really concerned, go with a 2 mil cast laminate, the cost isn't much more but it won't cause any issues.

MikePro

+1 lexan if you want a final solution for permanence in your back pocket.
on the other hand, most laminated decals will last as long as the ink does.

Jackpine

I laminate for abrasive protection, easy of application and extended life from damage to the decal. Laminate calander print with calander laminate.