• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A time saving tip that I just found out and wanted to share!

ChristianSlager

For years I have been asking everyone I know that uses Illy if they know how to put an outline (stroke) around text, and still leave the text editable. Everyone gave me the same answer. "You have to copy the text, give it a stroke, and move it behind the original copy" Well, I finally found a tutorial on how you can move a stroke behind text, and I wanted to share it just in case someone else hadn't figured it out yet.

1. create a line of text in Illy
2. select the text and open the Appearance window
3. click the "add new stroke" button on the bottom left of the Appearance window, and assign weight, caps, joins, etc, & color on the new "layer" that is added in the list from doing step 3.
4. still in the appearance window, drag the "fill" layer above the "stroke" layer
5. assign color/gradient etc. (still in the appearance menu)

THERE YOU GO! editable text with the stroke behind it!

Amazing that no one I had ever talked to knew how to do it. Now if they would just make it possible in the regular stroke menu.... life would be even easier.

Have fun!