• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A tip to remember...................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This little scenario, just took place about 10 minutes ago. It took me that long to stop laughing so I could write.

When making magnetic signs for customers, we generally make sure of the size or ask the customer to make sure the size will fit the vehicle without going over any body molding, curvatures and any other obstacles where they want it. So, about 2 weeks ago, this customer, who has been a customer for years, came in and wanted two more sets of magnetic signs for his new vehicle and a set for his girlfriend to sport around with. We went over the sizes and he said the old size will fit perfectly. He used the old sign to measure and they fit fine. So we called him that they were finished, he paid and left the building. I just got the call, that they don't stay on his new vehicle ?? Whada ?? I asked him a few questions and he laughed and said, did you know that Saturns don't have a metal surface on the door ?? Oh, yeah, is that what you have ?? Yep. What can I do ?? Well, either drill holes and bolt the magnetics to the side or weld a steel plate on the door and stick it on there. He never asked if I would take them back, but he sure asked a lotta dumb questions.

So, the lesson is, if someone wants magnetics..... and they happen to mention, it's for their Saturn, tell them.... think again. :rolleyes:

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
I've had a Saturn customer before...

Phototex(keep the backing) and he can take it on and off many times.

Mosh

Some mini vans are that way too....I try and try to talk people out of magnetics, some customers have them for years with no problems and then there are those that they fall off a block from our shop....those are the customers that talk!

Malkin

2015 Ford pickups now have aluminum panels instead of steel. I'm sure we will run into this issue even more than we did with the Saturns/Corvettes/etc...

gnemmas

It happened to us 10 years ago when this customer ordered a pair of Mags for his Rolls Royce for 4th of July parade.

Since then, we always remind customers to test their doors.

a77

Aluminum panels, well I can see that mistake.
But when they ask the magnetic signs will work on the windows... haven't come up with a respectful answer to that yet - a few customers did not appreciate my chuckles.

Good tip about the phototex though. Had a client ask me just last week for removable decals for courtesy cars for their bodyshop. They wanted some removable and swappable between cars. Seems like Phototex is a good idea, it will work on any glass, aluminum, steel.

rjssigns

Thanks for the tip Gino. Reminds me when we did a batch of mags for a lumber yard fleet. Trucks all had aluminum doors. DOH!!!

Tony McD

My old boss was really proud of the model T he bought just before the big parade in town.
He put one of his new parade magnets against the door...let go...and it fell to the ground.
This is how he found out the car was a fiberglass reproduction.

FatCat

I can't recall how many times I have been asked to make magnetics for box trucks.
I tell 'em unless it's REALLY special, it's either made of aluminum or fiberglass - so no worky! :Big Laugh

We briefly opened a 2nd location in the next town over in 1999. A friend of mine ran it. Not long after he opened, he called me thrilled to death because he had sold a set of 2' x 25' magnetics to go on the side of a tour bus. I wish I could have seen the faces of him and the customer when they discovered the bus was aluminum.

The customer still bought them and used them. Not sure how. I never got that part of the story.

AF

We briefly opened a 2nd location in the next town over in 1999. A friend of mine ran it. Not long after he opened, he called me thrilled to death because he had sold a set of 2' x 25' magnetics to go on the side of a tour bus. I wish I could have seen the faces of him and the customer when they discovered the bus was aluminum.

The customer still bought them and used them. Not sure how. I never got that part of the story.

Duct tape :ROFLMAO:

cajun312

I had someone call a few weeks ago, he said he needed some blank magnetic material to cover up some decals on truck doors. I figured it was for someone who had use of a company pickup and wanted to cover the companies name when he used the truck to get to a hunting lease.
They came by and picked up eight 2'x'2 magnets,called me back an hour later and said they weren't sticking to the doors. Asked him what kind of trucks,he said Peterbilts. I told him they were aluminum door skins and he says "does that make a difference".
He said they would keep them and just duct tape them on. I think they were trying to haul some loads over the weekend without the knowledge of the company they were leased out to.