• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Aaarrgh! - Vs640 Skewed Print And "carriage Detached"

JesperN

We have a couple of Roland VS640. And one of them is currently driving me nuts, since I can't figure out what is causing these errors:

- It can print fine for several days in a row. Mostly printing on 30" rolls.
If we change to 54" - or sometimes also on 30" - the print suddendly starts to get skewed.
It's like the printer believes that the print head is in a different position than it really is.
The print quality goes down, but not that bad that your cant see what it is. It is only at the 10-12 head passes where the actually skewing happens, that the print is messed up.
But when the printer afterwards cuts the vinyl (in the same printer as a print/cut-job), you can clearly see that the print is not where it should be, and where the printer thinks it is (see picture).

Sometimes the head stops at the left media clamp and the printer comes with a "Carriage Detached" - eventhough the cutting- and printing heads are still connected and can move freely. This detached error has only happened when printing on 54" rolls.

The encoder-strip has been replaced by a local dealer. But the problem still showes up - often when deadline is very tight :-(.

Any thoughts on what causes the problem?

All best,
Jesper

Attachments

• Print_Error_VS640.jpg
    Print_Error_VS640.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 247
Hey JesperN,

You're on the right track by mentioning the encoder scale was replaced, but there's an encoder sensor that also should be replaced (at the same time the scale is replaced). Please contact your dealer again to have them inspect and fix the printer.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

zstekovic

Maybe I could help.
It's a motor problem, it generates too much heat, and the counting is not right on it (servo).

You can do this:
- open right metal shield part of the machine (above the console) and leave it open.
- cool the room down
> lower the speed of the head movement in VersaWorks, and continue printing.

Eventually, replace motor.
I found this solution when it happened to me and my service guys where scratching their heads for three weeks :)

Regards,
Žarko Šteković

We have a couple of Roland VS640. And one of them is currently driving me nuts, since I can't figure out what is causing these errors:

- It can print fine for several days in a row. Mostly printing on 30" rolls.
If we change to 54" - or sometimes also on 30" - the print suddendly starts to get skewed.
It's like the printer believes that the print head is in a different position than it really is.
The print quality goes down, but not that bad that your cant see what it is. It is only at the 10-12 head passes where the actually skewing happens, that the print is messed up.
But when the printer afterwards cuts the vinyl (in the same printer as a print/cut-job), you can clearly see that the print is not where it should be, and where the printer thinks it is (see picture).

Sometimes the head stops at the left media clamp and the printer comes with a "Carriage Detached" - eventhough the cutting- and printing heads are still connected and can move freely. This detached error has only happened when printing on 54" rolls.

The encoder-strip has been replaced by a local dealer. But the problem still showes up - often when deadline is very tight :-(.

Any thoughts on what causes the problem?

All best,
Jesper