• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Abrasion, or is this vinyl failing? (3M 180/8519 on a boat)

Ashley Smith

We had the new guy letter a boat while we were out of town. He applied the 3M 180cV3 vinyl to both sides of the boat. 3 months later, the guy emails me, telling me my vinyl is failing. This is the photo he sent:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I tell him that's been bumped around - the vinyl has been rubbing on something. He orders a new set of lettering for that side, we make it, then he emails again....

GetAttachmentThumbnail

This is the other side. Again, this looks like an abrasion. That little curl at the bottom of the G might be a lift, but that's a mark through the tail of the S into the G, isn't it?
This guy is trying to tell me that it's not. I've never seen vinyl split like this.

Can you chime in? I'm fine with being wrong, but this doesn't make any logical sense to me. I need professional weigh-ins!

JBurton

Signtologist
The customer is calling, or the new guy that installed the vinyl? I'd just look at the completion photos, point out that there were not any scuff marks around the vinyl before hand, and whatever made them also damaged the vinyl.

Johnny Best

When you use air egress on boats, you will get water under vinyl when moving through water. Especially on thin strokes as you show..... But on closer examination of photos, it looks like scuff marks

Ashley Smith

Here's where the graphics sit on the boat. He was very particular about where they should be placed. This guy had over 50 emails logged back and forth to get this little job done. And HE SUPPLIED THE VECTOR ART.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0328.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0328.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 172
  • thumbnail_IMG_0322.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0322.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 180

JBurton

Signtologist
Awesome, you have completion photos! I'd offer a replacement with a little discount for existing artwork (and presumably fewer than 50 emails! If he keeps emailing you, start with up a counter in the introduction line of every email)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did you get paid ?? If so, tell him you will fix HIS mistakes for a price (fair to both parties), but only after he cleans up the boat. Be nice, but it sounds like a problem customer especially down the road.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
That's from being rubbed and impacted, most likely by fenders. They probably left fenders hanging over the sides from the cleat that is clearly visible directly above the graphics while under way. Or had fenders hanging from that cleat while the boat is docked.

Either way that is also too thin of a font to use for that application as well in my opinion.

10sacer

We had the new guy letter a boat while we were out of town. He applied the 3M 180cV3 vinyl to both sides of the boat. 3 months later, the guy emails me, telling me my vinyl is failing. This is the photo he sent:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I tell him that's been bumped around - the vinyl has been rubbing on something. He orders a new set of lettering for that side, we make it, then he emails again....

GetAttachmentThumbnail

This is the other side. Again, this looks like an abrasion. That little curl at the bottom of the G might be a lift, but that's a mark through the tail of the S into the G, isn't it?
This guy is trying to tell me that it's not. I've never seen vinyl split like this.

Can you chime in? I'm fine with being wrong, but this doesn't make any logical sense to me. I need professional weigh-ins!
Uh. The guy is rubbing his boat on docks. Those are all abrasion marks.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
The font is too thin, as others have said, but also placement is wrong. I wouldn't give a discount, but I'd thicken up the font, show him the new layout and place it where it's least to get hit. Make sure it's outta the water for 4 days once installed. Let the glue cure first.

When you use air egress on boats, you will get water under vinyl when moving through water. Especially on thin strokes as you show..... But on closer examination of photos, it looks like scuff marks
It looks like its delaminating as well. I would vote to use an Arlon Cast RTA rather than 180CV3