• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

accepting credit cards II (non swipers)

SameDay Signs

I would defintally suggest sams club for the merchant processing because when it comes down to it they are the cheapest rates around though after all factors are in between a 3 year contract and everything else im not a fan of that lenght of contract. I use Square as a few others on here do and love it. It's simple 2.75% sqiped and like 3.15% keyed in. No contract, NO OTHER FEES period and it is in account 1-2 days like any other processor. Plus its a huge convienance when you can use your smart phone when you want to take that payment when your on a call

CES020

So for those of you that have a virtual terminal... did you pay any initial setup? I recall my fee through MW was $49

Yup, I think I paid about $100 years ago.

For what it's worth, are you totally opposed to square? It's not much higher to manually key them into your phone, and if you took the difference, it might be worth it for you. I'd setup a quick spreadsheet and put your info in, and look at what the cost will be, and then make another column for square. You might find the higher fees for square manually keyed transactions isn't enough to pay the cost of having the virtual terminal from some other outlet.

I had no plans to use square for manual transactions, but it's worked well.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Yup, I think I paid about $100 years ago.

For what it's worth, are you totally opposed to square? It's not much higher to manually key them into your phone, and if you took the difference, it might be worth it for you. I'd setup a quick spreadsheet and put your info in, and look at what the cost will be, and then make another column for square. You might find the higher fees for square manually keyed transactions isn't enough to pay the cost of having the virtual terminal from some other outlet.

I had no plans to use square for manual transactions, but it's worked well.

I don't want to manually punch in card #'s, expiration date and billing info on a tiny phone keyboard. More possibility of errors. I process 30-50 credit cards once per week.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
So I was reading through this thread and decided to go to the square website to see if I wanted to get it. Apparently, they now offer a plan that is a flat $275/month with 0% per swipe charge. So, if you do over $10,000 a month, that sounds like the way to go.

CES020

I don't want to manually punch in card #'s, expiration date and billing info on a tiny phone keyboard. More possibility of errors. I process 30-50 credit cards once per week.

You don't have to type in anything but the CC number and expiration date. No addresses, etc. It's really much easier than a virtual terminal. I can manually key one in in less than 15 seconds, as opposed to my virtual terminal, which takes me a couple of minutes to get open, logged in, and then manually key the addresses and names on the card, etc.

I can finish the transaction before I get get logged into the virtual terminal, no lie.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
You don't have to type in anything but the CC number and expiration date. No addresses, etc. It's really much easier than a virtual terminal. I can manually key one in in less than 15 seconds, as opposed to my virtual terminal, which takes me a couple of minutes to get open, logged in, and then manually key the addresses and names on the card, etc.

I can finish the transaction before I get get logged into the virtual terminal, no lie.

ok sounds good. I may have to take a second look if that is the case

CES020

It's free- give it a try, it doesn't cost you a penny to get it, and if you never use it, then you've not lost a thing.

I'm not saying it's the solution you're looking for, only you know that, but for the cost, it might be worth a try. I know I don't key a single letter in, I don't think. It's all numbers, on the number pad, so it's easy.

But you process a ton more than I do, so it might be different for you.

Remember- Square has a limit unless you get it raised, which is super easy to do. If you don't, it can stun you when you get the notice that funds are being held for 20 or 30 days. I think it's $1000 a month. If you submit the form online to raise it, tell them what you want it to be, within 24 hours, it'll get raised and you'll be all set.

Just didn't want you to get that surprise like we did :)

ProColorGraphics

For the little that I use mine, I am going to just use my Square account once my contract is up on my terminal. I have had good luck with Square.

Valentino

Personally I had First Data and was getting charged HUGE interchange fees for business cards. I switched to Square and it has been the best move ever.

TopFliteGraphics

I started using Square back in October. I love it. It's been great for getting deposits on work from customers that never come into the shop.

toomeycustoms

We use Bank of America for our merchant account. They have some special where if they can't beat your current rates, they give you $500. They also deposit the money into your account the next day and if you have a business checking/savings, there are no monthly fees regardless of the balances. We actually have 2 merchant accounts through them. One for the swiped cards for walk in customers and one for internet transactions. We use Authorize.net as the gateway for the ecommerce merchant account.

Why are you having to manually key in the credit card #'s? Are you only accepting cc#'s by phone? If not, you should really look into a shopping cart to automate the payments so you don't have to worry about keying in the numbers.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
We use Bank of America for our merchant account. They have some special where if they can't beat your current rates, they give you $500. They also deposit the money into your account the next day and if you have a business checking/savings, there are no monthly fees regardless of the balances. We actually have 2 merchant accounts through them. One for the swiped cards for walk in customers and one for internet transactions. We use Authorize.net as the gateway for the ecommerce merchant account.

Why are you having to manually key in the credit card #'s? Are you only accepting cc#'s by phone? If not, you should really look into a shopping cart to automate the payments so you don't have to worry about keying in the numbers.

Correct. I operate by email/internet. No customers visit me so i never have the card in hand

I am trying out Intuit's service for now. I get both a virtual terminal and keyed in via smartphone if I choose