• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Accepting Credit Cards

signswi

I'm probably just biased, we have a glut of ancient people here who still think it's the 50s and cause stinks but aren't actively running anything anymore. Drives all the young(ish) people in the Chamber, BID, Rotary, etc. crazy whenever something needs to get done.

If you're on the coast or in a large metro areas Square is already old hat and very few people even blink at it. Cities like Chicago where food trucks and consultants are everywhere business people are really used to seeing Square.

It's a 3 year old company with almost $170M in funding, 200 employees and they hit $1M in daily transactions in early March of 2011. Not to mention it was founded by Jack Dorsey who practically lives on the cover of Inc., FastCompany, etc. Hard to miss it's impact on the market if you're paying attention.

That said, we don't use it. Traditional merchant with a card swiper, very low need for in the field payments here.

Billct2

I always thought that business credit cards did not have the same fraud protection as consumer credit cards.

VINYLIMAGEZ

signswi said:
It only comes off as unprofessional to old arse codgers who don't know what professionalism looks like now.

Those things dont give receipts right on the spot.
this is what professionalism looks like now.
Wireless, conects every were theres cell phone service, give receipts right there, also swipes checks.
You need to update your arse.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120227_091411.png
    ForumRunner_20120227_091411.png
    572.6 KB · Views: 120

Pat Whatley

It only comes off as unprofessional to old arse codgers who don't know what professionalism looks like now.

Really? Name ONE major retail business that is using the square. I've never walked in a store and had a cashier reach in their pocket, whip out a cell phone, and tell me they're ready to run my credit card. Never. Never been in a restaurant, gas station, amusement park, or movie theater where that happened.....you know, large companies with people actually paid to look into the feasibility of stuff like "the square".

It's completely different it you're talking about on-site payments. I'd have no problem having a delivery driver scan my card, I would have a problem if I went to their office and they did it. I know, no difference, just a personal perception thing.

By the way, Intuit has a similar mobile processing device.
http://payments.intuit.com/products/basic-payment-solutions/mobile-credit-card-processing.jsp

CheapVehicleWrap

I wouldnt use square and this is why

Not only is this 6 months old, I'm surprised it was considered a security issue at all and likely hasn't changed. It would actually take longer because they'd not only have to key in the number but wait for the translation as well. As long as the online transfer was secure there's no issue. They'd only be getting the better rate because it appeared swiped rather than keyed.

SD&F

I have had a regular Merchant Services account for over 10 years. I was wondering if any of you can tell me that if you regularly do card free transactions (manualy imput) and run 300.00 to 20,000 are the fees higher or about the same. I have been very lazy about looking into something else, because this works. I just hate the fees I am charged monthly. Thank you for any imput

signswi

Those things dont give receipts right on the spot.
this is what professionalism looks like now.
Wireless, conects every were theres cell phone service, give receipts right there, also swipes checks.
You need to update your arse.

That looks like an Apple Newton with some sort of paper coming out of it. :wink:

Here's how you hardwire Square for anyone interested in using it in a retail setting: https://squareup.com/square/hardware-integration

tsgstl

funny
I don't think of myself old at all
I do try hard to leave my "professionalism" at work when it's time to go home. That's when I pick up my IPad wipe of the koolaid fingerprints from my 2 year old and enjoy life a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXWweR6dHqc

I never said this thing didn't have its right place in the market place. I think it is perfect for Art shows, Food vendors, flea markets, garage sales etc. Most Ipads I see are passed around from person to person or more commonly in the hands of some kid playing angry birds. There is less chance of a conventional card swipe machine ever leaving its place. And it just comes off too "start-up"ish

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We LOVE PayPal. We have had three different processors. Although they promise 1.5% or something, it always ends up costing closer to 3% if you take all the fees for a year and average them out. (We don't have any swipe transactions).

PayPal is very straight forward and we don't pay any monthly or statement fees. Just 2.2%+ 30 cents.

Mech

We were using strictly Paypal...but recently got a government contract..and they have to pay you directly with a card..There can`t be a middle man (aka paypal) So we got Intuit GoPayment and use it on the ipad. We chose Intuit over square simply because of customer support. Square has zero..literally. Intuit has 24 hr phone support.

On another note..do you guys just absolutely hate each other or something? There are just sooo many hateful posts..and for absolutely no reason. Just because one person prefers something different from you doesn`t mean you have to be a complete *** about it. If you act like that with customers, I have no idea how you stay in business.

EDIT: I had no idea that paypal offered a card swiper lol. All of the reviews that I read were only discussing Square and Intuit. If I had known that, I would`ve just gotten the paypal swiper.

Locals Find!

We were using strictly Paypal...but recently got a government contract..and they have to pay you directly with a card..There can`t be a middle man (aka paypal) So we got Intuit GoPayment and use it on the ipad. We chose Intuit over square simply because of customer support. Square has zero..literally. Intuit has 24 hr phone support.

On another note..do you guys just absolutely hate each other or something? There are just sooo many hateful posts..and for absolutely no reason. Just because one person prefers something different from you doesn`t mean you have to be a complete *** about it. If you act like that with customers, I have no idea how you stay in business.

EDIT: I had no idea that paypal offered a card swiper lol. All of the reviews that I read were only discussing Square and Intuit. If I had known that, I would`ve just gotten the paypal swiper.

Paypal's hasn't officially been released yet. You would have screwed yourself out of your deal waiting for it. You can always switch over when its official I am sure.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Figured I'd revive this since I just signed up for Intuit GoPayment. After re-reading the thread, I think it just depends on the type of business you do as far as whether or not this is a good fit for you/your business.

Most of my work is in the field. While my regular "industry customers" (other sign businesses) typically pay with a check, I've been asked on more than one occasion by "non-industry customers" (Jim's Pizza Parlor) if I take credit cards. After telling them I didn't - more than one asked if I had considered using Square or similar. So while some may understandably not be comfortable with it due to it being unfamiliar to them (in which case a check is fine), others actually prefer paying via mobile credit card processing.

J

john1

Still using Square here, About 2 years and counting. Works like a dream.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
We LOVE PayPal. We have had three different processors. Although they promise 1.5% or something, it always ends up costing closer to 3% if you take all the fees for a year and average them out. (We don't have any swipe transactions).

PayPal is very straight forward and we don't pay any monthly or statement fees. Just 2.2%+ 30 cents.

How are you able to avoid a service fee if you don't swipe? Virtual terminal costs $30 per month according to the paypal website

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-01 at 11.25.43 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-01 at 11.25.43 AM.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 130

binki

Those fees for paypal are double what we pay. When I look at our statement and take into account all of the fees we have we still only come out to 2.1% in total fees for all of our credit/debit card transactions.

Base rate is around 1.5% plus we have fees if we take a card over the phone or don't swipe it.

After our first year we negotiated out of our per transaction fixed fee, statement fee, closing fee and got our % dropped a couple of tenths. It has gone back up a little but you only need to get some competition going and get a written quote from another merchant processor to get yours to budge on pricing.

Mosh

I use a terminal from First Data, I get these PCI com-pliant e-mails all the time. Now they are wanting to bill me to become compliant! I am thinking square, I only average between $2K and $4K charged a month! I am thinking of having it on my ipad that also doubles as my portfolio on my counter.