• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Accidentally designing "offensive" logos...?

RyanT

Director of Entropy
Have any of you accidentally designed a logo or graphic element that looks like something it wasn't intended to be?

I was recently working on a design for a customer when someone happened to glance at my screen and said "That looks a lot like the KKK logo". Well, not knowing what that logo looks like I searched and found, yup, I basically redesigned their logo and nearly put it on a sign. This probably would not have helped my google review status, as you can imagine.

I know "offensive" is a subjective word, but is there some sort of design database or image list of things to DEFINITELY AVOID? Sometimes it's obvious, but in this case I barely dodged a bullet.

An example below (not my design): you might not want to use Waffen SS design elements...

CTB.jpg

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I always make sure my logo work passes the genitalia test, last thing I want is something I designed showing up on some site because it looks like crotch...

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I thought the idea was to see how many penises you can get into an image with out anyone noticing?
I'd be lying if I said I don't have a few wangs scattered about on signage.

Johnny Best

I always make sure my logo work passes the genitalia test, last thing I want is something I designed showing up on some site because it looks like crotch...

They also give that test for green card applications during immigration processing.

ADuke

I have not had this issue (that I know of) with accidentally designing something offensive with a logo. I did design a vehicle wrap for a customer where the first two letters in their name overlapped the wrap graphics and they came back with "it looks like it says ASS" (the word being CLASS), which I didn't notice until they pointed it out and I had to redesign. Ops of a beginner in wrap design.

Billct2

I haven't had that issue (yet) but when putting static cling sponsor decals on golf carts for a tournament for my biggest client I almost made a big error.
The course's carts were fine, but the extras rented for the event had a manufacturers decal that I was partially covering. I forget just what it was but somehow the letters that were left uncovered were "a*s" .

Reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. His mom tried her hand at sculpture and came up with a 6' tall vagina. Everyone saw it but her.