• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

achieve brighter reds when printing to silver metallic vinyl

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I say it's not possible but is there a way to achieve a brighter red when printing to metallic vinyl.
Using an HP360 with no white Ink
Increasing the number of passes will produce a "richer" red but will also eliminate the effect of the metallic look.
We did some vehicle graphics on a couple of trucks. Majority was straight silver metallic. Then for the business name I was asked to print red to the silver metallic. Of course I knew it wouldn't be a bright red as the silver would bleed through but do they listen to me.

So now they want to add to the tailgate but with a brighter red. Perhaps there is a metallic red vinyl out there. I'm going to ask my $$ person to look into it.

That's the only way I see.

MikePro

uncertain which metallic vinyl you're using but they typically have a grey-tint to them and the bright-point only comes at the right viewing angle.
a white base would give you the ability to print the "brightest red" possible, but if that's not an option then 3M's Gloss Dragon Fire Red is pretty damn bright, and metallic. I'd be hard pressed to find a brighter red-metallic wrap vinyl via other brands, I stopped looking after my 3M/Avery/Hexis colorbooks.

got pics for the thread to haggle other options?
maybe post what material you were using as well and the CMYK value that your RIP sent to your printer, just to rule-out anything you can possibly tweak via your current printer/media set.

unclebun

You're putting metallic lettering on a truck. Why print it? Just buy red metallic vinyl and cut it. Stick it on. Done. Not wrap vinyl, just regular cast vinyl. From your favorite manufacturer. They all make it. Avery even makes an ultrametallic with bigger flakes.

A 24"x10yd roll is going to be around $100. For small amounts Fellers will sell cut yardage.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
You're putting metallic lettering on a truck. Why print it? Just buy red metallic vinyl and cut it. Stick it on. Done. Not wrap vinyl, just regular cast vinyl. From your favorite manufacturer. They all make it. Avery even makes an ultrametallic with bigger flakes.

A 24"x10yd roll is going to be around $100. For small amounts Fellers will sell cut yardage.

I do believe I mentioned this in my post. All I can do is suggest to the boss that we find a metallic red. Otherwise if he doesn't want to go that route they'll have to live with the red we did already.

And before anyone criticizes this design let me tell you the customer sent us a png of an idea he liked. All it had was the flag and no text. I was simply asked to duplicate it as close to possible. Then find a way to add the business name in "red and blue" Oh and "don't spend too much time on it"

upload_2020-4-2_10-2-31.png

MikePro

nah, not here to rehash your approved design.... OP was how to make it work.
i wouldn't be printing a bit of it, that looks like that could have easily been cut out of either metallic or reflective stock colored vinyl.... print&lam just added to your cost.

design-wise, if we were to touch on that..... AE's eagle-logo would have looked nice on the door panel, with the flag&text flying out back from it.