• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ACM Panel on Brick....

joshGN

Installing a few Sign-a-bond panels on a brick building. They are small'ish...18x24 to 24x36. Would 3m 2 sided foam tape work for this install? Silicone? Liquid Nails?

Whats the best solution OTHER than drilling into the brick...

thanks!

CanuckSigns

what kind of brick? is it painted?

Some clients don't like screws, but I usually explain that it's a lot easier to fix 2 small holes than to scrape off 10 year old silicone/liquid nails from brick. if they don't go for it I will generally walk away, i don't trust non mechanical fasteners enough to bet my reputation on them.

TXFB.INS

what kind of brick? is it painted?

rarely do you see bricks that are smooth enough. what is worse is the painted surface as the hold is only as good as the paint adhesion to the brick is because if the sign fails it will also peel the paint off and guess who will get the blame...

synergy_jim

I typically VHB Z-clips to the back of the sign and tap con the opposite clip into a mortar joint. It spaces it off the brick to hide imperfect brick alignment and also hides any fasteners.

MikePro

VHBtape & silicone works just fine for me!

if they don't want fasteners, then its up to them to deal with adhesive left on brick after removal...

TXFB.INS

has anyone used this before? they are gluing a 35 kg concrete block onto drywall with no other fasteners, and it looks like it stayed there!

That has to be the toughest drywall ever made. they have roughly 145lbs in that concentrated area on the wall

Moze

Precision Sign Services
oddly enough, I just got an email from a supplier saying they now carry this adhesive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxbRV6eVcQ

has anyone used this before? they are gluing a 35 kg concrete block onto drywall with no other fasteners, and it looks like it stayed there!

I assume it's the same/similar makeup as Loctite Power Grab. There are a number of companies doing that same demo with the same looking stuff.

As far as the OP's question, explain both options to the customer. If the customer wants you to stand behind your work, you're going to use lot's of silicone and VHB. If they don't want the mess, I would use Spax or GRK's. They also look better than blue Tapcons.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, since you don't want to do it professionally...... but follow the instructions of your customer, I'd let him/her supply the type fastener agent he prefers, be it physical or schmootz.