• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ACM Panels - Ink Adhesion Primer Suggestions?

Alyssa Foley

Infinity-AP
Hello! We are printing ACM Panels on a Flat Bed EFI Vutek then laminating with them a satin laminate. We are allowing them to breathe for about 48 hours before laminating, yet after laminating if you pick at the corner the laminate and the entire print comes off. We have had success when applying Bull Dog before printing. I wanted to know if anyone uses a primer that they have had a lot of success with?!

Thanks!

ChrisN

Look for a digital print ACM - e.g. MaxMetal DP (Grimco), Duratex Alumaboard FAST (Agfa), Alupanel Digital, etc.

jwilde

ChrisN has it... You have to print to the digitally printable product that's been corona treated, otherwise cutting/routing will chip/flake and as you state the laminate will peel the whole print off like a skin.

Whatever brand you use likely has a digital version.

Alyssa Foley

Infinity-AP
Thanks! The problem I am having with digital printed ACM is I cannot find it in the length I need 14'/16' without buying an entire container load, so I was thinking with a primer I could use regular ACM possibly?!

TimToad

Thanks! The problem I am having with digital printed ACM is I cannot find it in the length I need 14'/16' without buying an entire container load, so I was thinking with a primer I could use regular ACM possibly?!

I seriously doubt you'd find any type of ACM panels in that length in one piece.

If your supplier doesn't carry the digital print option material, a two part cleaning process starting with 90-99% isopropyl alcohol followed by automotive wax/degreaser solution will clean a standard panel as clean as one could ever expect.

Are the panels going in an area with heavy potential for human contact and scratching?

What about a liquid coating like Frog Juice?

Our flatbed, an old first generation Gerber ION Solara lays down such a tough ink film with such great scratch resistance, we don't usually clearcoat anything that isn't in a high risk area for scratching. I can literally scrape at our ink film with a fingernail and not leave a mark.

Alyssa Foley

Infinity-AP
I seriously doubt you'd find any type of ACM panels in that length in one piece.

If your supplier doesn't carry the digital print option material, a two part cleaning process starting with 90-99% isopropyl alcohol followed by automotive wax/degreaser solution will clean a standard panel as clean as one could ever expect.

Are the panels going in an area with heavy potential for human contact and scratching?

What about a liquid coating like Frog Juice?

Our flatbed, an old first generation Gerber ION Solara lays down such a tough ink film with such great scratch resistance, we don't usually clearcoat anything that isn't in a high risk area for scratching. I can literally scrape at our ink film with a fingernail and not leave a mark.

Hey Tim - I haven't tried the degreaser yet, that's a good idea! We are glazing in the panels in mall stores in lieu of glass so yes very high potential for human contact. I am going to try the frog juice, I believe since the laminate is a sheet it is just pulling everything off. Have you tried buffing panels before printing before? I think that was my next thing I was going to try..... Thanks again!

TimToad

Hey Tim - I haven't tried the degreaser yet, that's a good idea! We are glazing in the panels in mall stores in lieu of glass so yes very high potential for human contact. I am going to try the frog juice, I believe since the laminate is a sheet it is just pulling everything off. Have you tried buffing panels before printing before? I think that was my next thing I was going to try..... Thanks again!

I've noticed that the residue off the liner on the panels doesn't completely dissolve and fully removed with just alcohol but the second wipe with the hotter wax/degreaser seems to really get to it well.

What about reverse printing on clear acrylic and placing the printed side on the back side?

I'm not sure using the digital print material is going to help on abrasion resistance and a vinyl sheet laminate won't really add that much either. Face it, humans suck unless heavily monitored as evidenced by the mayhem in our national parks the last few weeks.

ChrisN

Wow, yeah, I'm not surprised you're having a hard time finding that.

What I don't like about cleaning or adhesion promoters is the high possibility of leaving streaks that show up when printed. Maybe your printer/ink isn't as susceptible to that as ours is, but I find that I have to be very careful when cleaning substrates to ensure no wipe marks show up in the final product. Also, of course, you have the labor involved as well.

If that's your only option, though, you could try Supply55 AP3155. I've had good results diluting it 15:1 with isopropyl alcohol and hand applying it on acrylic, but with such large sheets I'd look in to spraying it on. According to Supply55 it can be sprayed on with a standard paint sprayer.

Paint Gun Application for UV Curable Inks:
  1. Wear protective gear including Latex or Nitrile gloves and safety glasses
  2. Use in a well ventilated area
  3. Cut AP3155 with Acetone at a ratio of 50/50
  4. Spray a thin even layer of AP3155 onto the substrate using a metal spray gun
    outfitted with a fine tip nozzle
  5. Load the AP3155 prepared substrate into printer and print image using UV curable ink
  6. AP3155 will cure with the ink when flashed by the UV lamp
(Source: http://www.supply55.com/adhesion-promoters-s/78.htm)

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Maybe try Kolorcure Metal and Glass Primer. They are in Chicago. Northwest Graphic supply in Minneapolis sells it too.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We print on acm with our Mimaki flatbed but it has primer that definitely helps with adhesion. You can also scuff the panels with scotchbrite to give the panels some tooth. Just need to clean them after, agree with the alcohol wipe down, works for us.

Alyssa Foley

Infinity-AP
Update: the AP3155 worked as the primer, the ink peels off minimally even when trying to pull the laminate off! Thanks so much!

Broome Signs

do you know what grade of UV ink you are using?

in you have the correct formula for your application, no lamination required

but spray on laminates are best for UV ink as acrylic adhesive will not stay stuck for long.

Try offering anti graffiti liquid laminate , that way you get to charge an extra premium

PS

Dibond sell a 4m & 5m x 1.5m sheets of composite ally in 3mm

Andy D

We had the same issue with our Anapurna until we switched to a newer generation, more flexible ink.
Something that might help is to look at your ink limit. Just like paint, if you put too much down at once
the bottom layer never really cures and it will peel.
1st thing I would do is a test and reduce (if needed) your ink limit and turn up your lamps.
Also, do you how many hours you have on your lamps? Do they need to be replaced?

In the worst case, I have reduced the density of the print to 50% and printed it twice.

jmcnicoll

I've printed direct to a print acceptable acm board with and old agfa and newer vutek. Both worked fine when printing on ACM rated for direct printing. However, there are larger ACM panels not rated for print that I have seen this happen with. We sanded these boards and then printed without issues.