• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Acm...........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if you can recycle any thickness of ACM and get paid for it ?? We've been throwing it in the recycle bin, but someone recently said, why don't you take it to a salvage yard and get paid for it ?? When looking into that possibility, they all said, it costs too much. No one wants to pay you for it, but they'll all take it off your hands for nothing. Right now, we have maybe 1,500lbs of it and before throwing it away, we're trying to find a GREENER way of doing it that might pay off at the same time.

:thankyou:

C

ColoPrinthead

I have sold scrap ACM to a metal yard in the past.

Johnny Best

They weigh your aluminum scrap to figure how to pay you by the pound. ACM's weight is in the core, which is plastic, and the thin aluminum sheet on top is probably one beer can thickness.

C

ColoPrinthead

The guy I took my ACM to just weighted it all as aluminum. Aluminum doesn't really pay out unless you have a large amount, steel is what paid best.

Johnny Best

Aluminum pays out way more than steel. We all need to to Donkeytown (know how they got that name, from Pinocchio's friends) with truckloads of ACM to sell for aluminum. My metal guy makes me take all of the steel off the aluminum before he weighs it. I drive my truck on a large weigh station and they get the weight of my truck, I have to put the steel back in the truck and they weigh again and then pay the money for the weight of steel.
If you burned ACM you would get a blob of mixture, That aluminum is so thin it would melt off before the poly or what ever that stuff is would even start to break down.
Copper (Cu) or brass are the metals that pays at a recyle places.

Billct2

Yep, our scrap dealer doesn't want any ACM, just solid aluminum. I may get away with a little other stuff mixed in that is attached to old sign boxes but they check out the aluminum loads pretty carefully.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I got acm past my scrap yard once, next time i came back with it they told me they don't take that crap.....

shoresigns

ACM's weight is in the core, which is plastic, and the thin aluminum sheet on top is probably one beer can thickness.

I guess you could figure out the ratio between aluminum and polyethylene and find out exactly how much a kg of polymetal would yield, but would a recycler want to go through all that work for maybe 2% aluminum?

Assuming a typical 1/8" ACM with 0.012" skins, each skin is 3 times the thickness of a beer can and the aluminum accounts for around 43% of the total weight.

So, there might be as much as 645 lbs of aluminum in Gino's 1500 lbs of scrap. If it's cheap ACM with thinner skins, it would still be half that, or more.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Even at that weight, you're only talking $50 to $75. Hardly worth the time to pack a truck twice, take it in, go through all that crap come back and do it all over again for what......?? Then add the gas to it. Nope, probably just keep throwing it in the dumpster and saving mostly time. That would take someone here, or myself outta circulation for 1/2 a day. Can do better things with our time than try to make $75 like that.

rossmosh

Instead of throwing it in the dumpster, you could literally try to recycle it. While you might not be able to get paid, you could potentially get a free pickup. Plastic and aluminum are both recyclable materials. Someone should take it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope, no can do. Only recyclable stuff with the symbols with certain numbers will be picked up. All else has to be taken to the yard. It's a shame, but they're making it harder and harder to recycle.

Ya know, it costs more to recycle paper and cardboard products, then it does to plant more and more trees and make them into paper ?? Most places will take the papers and cardboard, but it isn't turned back into paper pulp anymore because of the cost nowadays.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nope, no can do. Only recyclable stuff with the symbols with certain numbers will be picked up. All else has to be taken to the yard. It's a shame, but they're making it harder and harder to recycle.

Ya know, it costs more to recycle paper and cardboard products, then it does to plant more and more trees and make them into paper ?? Most places will take the papers and cardboard, but it isn't turned back into paper pulp anymore because of the cost nowadays.

Have one of your guys drive around and hand it out to the people living under the bridges & overpasses - would be a nice upgrade from cardboard.

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can't, they don't have Obamacare anymore if they cut themselves on the edges. So, I don't wanna be held liable for their problems of moving on up...........