• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic for channel letters

Doc Savage

Given the success I have had in the past, I am hoping that someone out there can help me again.

We have a customer that is requesting a new set of channel letters for their storefront. The problem is that the letters have a rather unique texture on the inside of the faces that create a star pattern on the faces when lit. We have tried several products but none of them match the effect and no one seems to know where this product might have come from.

I have attached 3 pictures of what we have been given. The star shaped points of light that are formed on the acrylic is the effect they want. There is one of part of the current letter set and one with their sample and a sample we obtained to try and match. The final shot is of the inside of the acrylic showing the texture. It appears as though it is a 1/16" conical prism effect. Unless we can match this product I do not think we will be able to get the job.

Attachments

• Prism Detail.jpg
    Prism Detail.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 118
  • Prism Display.jpg
    Prism Display.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Prism Letters.jpg
    Prism Letters.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 92

Moze

Precision Sign Services
How thick is it?

It looks like the material that's often used for fluorescent light covers.

...but surely not...

Doc Savage

That's what I was thinking...the texture and finish looks very similar.

I thought the same thing. But this is actual slightly more than 1/8" thick. We would prefer something in the 1/8" to 3/16" range. We would also like to find it in sheets about 48" x 96" so that we can run it across our router table.