• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic letters with a flowing moving color spectrum behind letters

10sacer

Hello all,

Have been asked to create 1" thick acrylic letters with edge lighting and back lighting that emits a sort of colorful aurora borealis effect behind the letters.
I have a video of the effect, but no way to upload it here. Letters are 19" tall. Colors should be free flowing in a wavy, fluid like motion. I'm sure this can be done - but can it be achieved in available lights that can be mounted behind the letters.
Think of it as a lava lamp type of scenario, but they want to be able to only choose certain colors of the spectrum to emit the effect.
We have zero experience with LED lights with DMX controllers.

Static image attached. They don't want steady, pulsing, blinky lights. This should be a continuously moving and evolving color wave

Attachments

• Forge_Lights.jpg
    Forge_Lights.jpg
    706.3 KB · Views: 110

JBurton

Signtologist
Interior? Can you just mount the letters to a 1/8" thick piece of poly, and mount that over a TV with whatever the h*ll they please playing behind? Even with DMX controls, you're going to need a metric ton of modules to achieve any smooth transitions, and setting up a DMX is challenging if you're not already in that field. (Not that it can't be done, but is 6 hours of education worthwhile on a single project?)

10sacer

Interior? Can you just mount the letters to a 1/8" thick piece of poly, and mount that over a TV with whatever the h*ll they please playing behind? Even with DMX controls, you're going to need a metric ton of modules to achieve any smooth transitions, and setting up a DMX is challenging if you're not already in that field. (Not that it can't be done, but is 6 hours of education worthwhile on a single project?)
I get it. Thanks for info. I am steadily trying to talk them out o fthis.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I'm with Burton, if it's interior, talk em' into a monitor or tv, you can use a USB stick for whatever you want on the screen to make them fully self contained. They'll do so much more than rigging up lights and a controller, and you can change or edit whatever you send to the screen, any time you want with a simple video editor. Cheap DMX controllers absolutely suck, for a decent one like we use for the band that you can control multiple scenes at once like you'd need, and be reliable, cost me as much as the 70" OLED TV I have at home. Then you gotta buy all the lights, build it all, wire it all, program it all...

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah really, it's not a bad concept, some p95 frosted would help to smooth out anything on the tv and make it look less like a tv. This also has the added benefit that they won't need to learn DMX programming or call you out to reprogram it whenever they decide they want a different pattern.