• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Acrylic light box

nolanola

Hello forum.
I'm looking for some guidance on how to make an acrylic lightbox sign 18" x 12" x 4".
We are going to laser the 6 pieces and glued them together. The LEDs will be placed on the 4" side (the edge) facing inside.
What glue should we use? What should pay attention to?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20240926_084636_903~2.jpg
    IMG_20240926_084636_903~2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 60

JBurton

Signtologist
Weld0n 3 and WeldOn 16. I don't know how you will not have multiple hot spots from your description of building it ??
I would have agreed, but I just pushed this one out the door and it looks great. Ended up doubling the modules because we received extra and the power supply was woefully underloaded.
What should pay attention to?
Make sure you have a white coating inside the cabinet. Indirect lighting like these have a tendency to reflect the paint color and 'contaminate' the white light. We painted the referenced cabinet purple, and had to skin the inside with white to keep it from glowing purple on the opposite side.

Attachments

• Purple Cow Directional 4 inch.pdf
    398.1 KB · Views: 34

JBurton

Signtologist
Oh wait, you want the returns to glow as well? Oldschool simplest way would have been to get some neon fabbed, mount it freestanding vertically, and use the lightbox as a 'cover'. That or a U lamp. It's going to be pretty hard with LED's though...

Johnny Best

Weldon 3 should be good enough for keeping acrylic together at the seams. Just do not spill it on the faces, use the needle tip to get into seams, is it clear acrlic or the frosted white as you show, glue sets up quickly. VHB tape for LED on the sides

nolanola

Thank you!
The edges don't need to be illuminated.
The plan now is to use COB LED tape on the edges and block the light on the edges with black vinyl on the inside.

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
I think you would get better illumination if you added a baffle in the middle and make it 6 inches deep. The baffle could be made out of Lexan and would provide a safer surface to mount your LEDs illuminating both directions. Let us know if your method works. It might just be small enough to get even illumination.

nolanola

Made some progress, looks good so far.
I'm thinkin about a way to suspend a ring made of led's in the center of the box. Maybe zipties from all for corners.

Attachments

• progress.jpg
    progress.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 12

JBurton

Signtologist
Only problem with zipties in the corners, aside from the jank factor, you'll end up with dark spots where you mount the zip tie to the box. Why not cut an additional piece of acrylic and stick the leds there?