• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

acuity fuji having dripping issues

desiree

Does anyone have a acuity fuji with dripping problems? Nozzle checks are good. I am printing on 3m diffuser film. Have been doing this for a year now and recently am having issues that I haven't had before.
We have printed with expired ink not for a long, but thinking that it might be a cause.

Thanks for any suggestions.

redsigns

Check for air in the system. The ink line filters are usually the cause. They need to be turned upside down to remove the air.

Typestries

Could be other things as well, such as

static
ink temperatures- may need adjustment, especially if your environmental room temp has changed
not sure how the vacuum sys works on that machine, may need a vacuum pressure adjustment, or some combo of vacuum and temp to compensate for seasonal viscosity changes.

could also be a head voltage needing adjustment, a loose or wet head cable causing a short, or sigh, a failing head (probably least likely)

I don't think it's the ink, ink expires in theory because it gells and becomes more viscous, eg harder to jet through the heads, eg less likely to drip.

These are generic suggestions, I dont know the acuity, but the principles are pretty similar on all. Good luck! I feel your pain!

dustino

learning curve is an understatement!

looking to get the Acuity what is your overall opinion on it?

My last printer was the Epson GS 6000 using Onyx as RIP, a solid solid machine. After having just moved to a new company 2 weeks ago, who just purchased the FUJI Acuity LED 1600 using Colorgate as the RIP. I am struggling The roll fed side works great, however the flat bed feature leaves much to be desired. I feel this printer was over thought and poorly constructed. We have already had 5 flimsy ,yet crucial parts crumble under minimal use and had to have the new parts sent and replaced them. Forget running 3/16" foamcore , as the slightest bow makes a simple job a nightmare. Too many sensors for this and that , that are part of the reordered pieces earlier referenced. I am actually scared I wont make it through the 30 day probationary period because this thing is making me look like a fool. Every job Ive been posed with has been a foamcore job and Ive had to turn them down and outsource them. Hope things turnaround quick

D

DravidDavid

9 times out of 10 ink drops are caused by static. We have an OCE 250GT or Acuity HD2504 and we get the same problem.

The plastic sheet charges the platen, which draws the over-spray from the heads where it pools and drips off after a while. Are the drops mostly at either end of the media where the head stops to return to the other side? If so, this is most likely your problem. If it's not static, it is incorrect head height. This can be minimised by measuring your media with an electronic micrometer to get the head height down to the decimal point.

If not any of the above suggestions could be relevant. I'd start with the easy stuff first. Check that your anti-static bar is definitely turned on and definitely working. You will be able to tell its on in the software and tell it's working through an audible crackle when your ear is close to the bar itself. If your anti-static bar is not working, it can lead to banding and ink drops.

The next easy thing to check is the ink flow/reservoir taps. It could be something as simple as a valve not opening properly which can cause in drops. If this is the case, when the reservoir fills, you will most likely get drops happening even when it is not printing. You may also see ink pooling on the heads of the offending colours if it is left sitting.

Good luck :)

StarSign

I run a 250GT as well and the thing is a work horse! I would agree with static or head height. That is where I would start but, I would also check the ink vacuum system as well.

dustino

Hybrid Flatbed / Roll

We buy our 3/16 foamcore by the box, I think 25 4'x8' sheets per box, but here in Memphis the humidity is still so high that I can pull a sheet from the middle of the box and it starts to bow by the time I turn around and get it on the "flat bed". The tech let it slip last night , and said " it's really not considered to be a flat bed printer". What?!? That's what its marketed as. THE WORLDS FIRST FLAT BED AND ROLL FED PRINTER , ABLE TO PRINT C,M,Y,K,LM,LC,W,CL, THAT'S WHITE AND CLEAR FOLKS! COME ONE COME ALL! Sorry Hijack this thread, but I suppose drips are next.

[h=4]Support for media up to 13 mm thick[/h]In addition to roll media, the Acuity LED 1600 supports printing to light board and other types of rigid board up to 13 mm thick by using the supplied rigid table. The Acuity LED 1600 also supports sheet media, enabling such applications as poster reprints. The foldable support table is designed to be compact and takes up minimal storage space.

Straight from the Fuji web page under features!

D

artbot

one thing that helps flatten sheets for hybrid printers is to have the feed side running very slightly down hill into the printer. then have the exit side exiting very slightly down hill. between the pressure of the pinch roller and the rear table and the gravity pulling down a bit on the exit the sheet will flatten at the apex which is right under the carriage.

DougWestwood

FUJI dripping

Hi There,

We had a huge problem here during some very hot weather this summer.
We have TWO Fuji flatbeds, and both were dripping ink all over everything.
Heads and platen needed to be wiped after every print. The problem was
DEFINITELY humidity build-up. The following week, in cooler weather, not even an issue.

Also, the "fiber build-up" comment is accurate. Even a cat hair or dust bunny getting into the head area can cause spray build-up, and drip on prints.

Foam core should be sucked down EASILY by the vacuum on this flatbed, no matter how warped.
If that is not happening, you have a leak somewhere, which needs to be fixed before a piece of material bows up into your printheads.

Don't think expired ink is a problem. Have run many bags of such, never had a problem.

Good Luck! Please post back with your solution.
- Doug/Vancouver

swordguy3222

I found that static can sometimes play a factor, but the biggest one for me is the heads picking up hairs from the brush. The hair will collect the over spray of the closest colour and drip during print. Next time you have drips, stop and what the heads with your cloth and clean it, it'll be all good.

lgroth

We have an Acuity X2, Would make a good boat anchor.... Do like Redsigns said, check for air in the system at the main filters, make sure the static bar is on and doing it's thing, both can cause problems. If it's one color that's dripping make sure the valve is completely off on top of the gantry for that color... Leaving those open can dump ink, not closed completely will cause dripping.... Have had that happen when cleaning one head, close the valves to purge the one color and when turning them back didn't get one all the way and drip, drip, drip..... :noway: