• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ADA Braille making

armandolo

Hey everyone,

im im relatively new to signmaking so wanted to know this. I know of raster and photopolymer styles of braille making and am considering one. But we used to buy braille from this guy that used to punch them from a thin piece of lexan or something. So his were stickable lexan pieces and it looks like a puncher punches the braille from the back.

anyone know of this method? I want to see what's that about but don't even know what to look for

CanuckSigns

Hey everyone,

im im relatively new to signmaking so wanted to know this. I know of raster and photopolymer styles of braille making and am considering one. But we used to buy braille from this guy that used to punch them from a thin piece of lexan or something. So his were stickable lexan pieces and it looks like a puncher punches the braille from the back.

anyone know of this method? I want to see what's that about but don't even know what to look for

the method you are referring to is quite old, and in my opinion, very ugly. it looks like someone used a labelmaker on the sign.

We use the raster method and are quite happy with the results, A shop i used to work at used photo polymer and I found it to be a real PITA to work with, burning negatives, exposing, washing, curing, better hope there is no dust on the negative or you are making the sign all over again. Plus i was never able to create a rounded braille dot with photo polymer, it was always a bit sharp, to the point where the CNIB (canadian national institute for the blind) rejected quite a few signs when we re did the signs at their new office in toronto.