• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ADA condo/apt signs

Marie

I have a customer who is remodeling a building. The first floor is retail space, with the upper floors being condos and apartments. A few of the units are ADA accessible units. What I can't find a clear answer on is this: Do all units have to have an ADA sign (indicating their unit number - like 2E) by their door or just the ADA unit? All the units open into an interior hallway. What about the floors that do not have ADA accessible units? Thanks!

Marie

Thanks for the link. That is what I have been reading and trying to decipher for this particular building. I feel pretty confident about the signs for restroom, exits, private offices, etc that are located on the public / retail level. It is the private apartments on the upper levels that I can't figure out what ADA sign requirements apply.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't read that article, but here's an easy solution. If the public can get to it, although it's private rooms.... a guest might be handicapped and need to find his/her way regardless of what floor or section they are on. Should a maintenance person or any other kind of worker have access to these rooms, it needs to be ADA compliant, in case a handicapped person works there.

If the occupant in the room has a name on the panel, that does not have to be ADA, but any kind of room identification from floor numbers, to floor/level numbers to electrical closet or water closet, it must be ADA compliant.