• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Add Canon Colorado 1650/M3 or Epson S60600/S60600L?

victor bogdanov

so I said fine, I want the machine recertified and a service plan added to the machine then I will buy new heads, their answer is sorry we don't know
Absolutely have to have a service contract on the Colorado or it'll make you broke paying for repairs out of pocket. I'm sure my Colorado has had over 50k in repairs over 3 years luckily all covered under service contract so far although the contract has cost about $25k over the 3 years

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Absolutely have to have a service contract on the Colorado or it'll make you broke paying for repairs out of pocket. I'm sure my Colorado has had over 50k in repairs over 3 years luckily all covered under service contract so far although the contract has cost about $25k over the 3 years
Yikes. I don't like that business model, at all. We never renewed our service contract after the included 2 years were up on our Arizona, and have never had anything serious go down/need replacing, knock on wood.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hello White Haus, can you tell us which printer you went for and how do you feel about your decision? I have an Epson SC40600 which I love, and am actually looking to add a new printer, my first choice is the Espson SC80600, but the new S9170 looks pretty sweet by what I've seen of it. But I´m also considering the Canon Colorado M3W Pro, of course money is an issue, and price wise they don´t compare, but as you mentioned it does sound like it´s worth the price difference.

Thanks for the reminder, guess I never came back and updated this thread.

We ended up going with the S60600 because the price point was great and we felt it was the right fit for us. We've run 20k sqft through it and not a single issue. It's so much faster that our old Rolands, I honestly can't imagine how we could handle the speed of a Colorado - more so in terms of the finishing bottlenecks we would run into due to the increased throughput of the printer.

My only suggestion would be to make sure you have a good cutting workflow to keep up with the throughput of a faster printer like a S60600 or Colorado. We have a Summa F flatbed and older S140T and the cutting ends up being a bottleneck. Luckily we can run automated barcode workflow overnight on the Summa F but not so much on the older S140T.

Aside from that, we're extremely happy with the Epson. It's a very different build/design/everything compared to our old Roland Soljets and our Mimaki UCJV, but in a good way.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
After trying to deal with Canon through our supplier on a consistent issue on our 1650 (now going to be the 5th Cyan head set going in) I would look elsewhere. Canon is disinterested in actually fixing their issues.

Background on my issue, we got a Demo machine in 2022 because Canon screwed up and didn't ship the new machine we ordered. Within a week both cyan heads went out, a month after that both cyan heads go out, a year later both cyan heads go out, now again both cyan heads go out... our vendor puts in know good heads as replacements, works for a week and then the machine does a calibration and boom both heads go out. Canon's answer, just put replacement heads in it. Clearly there is something else going on but they say there is no more tests, and its just heads... so I said fine, I want the machine recertified and a service plan added to the machine then I will buy new heads, their answer is sorry we don't know whats wrong with your machine so we can't do that. I thought it was just heads Canon?

So I'd say, be cautious with Canon... the Colorados are great machines unless you have a weird situation... then good luck with Canon support even through a dealer, who has been awesome.

The great part is that every head that went bad was under 10L of ink... these heads aren't even making it to the life of the HP throw away heads that are a few hundred dollars each vs $4400... But Canon says just put $10K of heads it it and hope for the best.
Sorry to hear about your experience Christian, that sounds really frustrating. It's always surprising to hear how Canon support is in the US, I feel like in Canada and Australia they've been really good.
Hopefully you guys can come to some sort of resolution that doesn't involve them just abandoning you.

I had some pretty attractive offers for a demo 1650 but now I'm glad I passed.

Christian @ 2CT Media

My M Series and prior 1650 have/had 0 issues and cost me only a few hundred in repairs and maintenance outside the scope of user maintenance. This is a transparent lemon with a consistent problem that they don't/can't/won't address.

Moffie

Sorry to hear about your experience Christian, that sounds really frustrating. It's always surprising to hear how Canon support is in the US, I feel like in Canada and Australia they've been really good.
Hopefully you guys can come to some sort of resolution that doesn't involve them just abandoning you.

I had some pretty attractive offers for a demo 1650 but now I'm glad I passed.
Thanks for the update, the S60600
Thanks for the reminder, guess I never came back and updated this thread.

We ended up going with the S60600 because the price point was great and we felt it was the right fit for us. We've run 20k sqft through it and not a single issue. It's so much faster that our old Rolands, I honestly can't imagine how we could handle the speed of a Colorado - more so in terms of the finishing bottlenecks we would run into due to the increased throughput of the printer.

My only suggestion would be to make sure you have a good cutting workflow to keep up with the throughput of a faster printer like a S60600 or Colorado. We have a Summa F flatbed and older S140T and the cutting ends up being a bottleneck. Luckily we can run automated barcode workflow overnight on the Summa F but not so much on the older S140T.

Aside from that, we're extremely happy with the Epson. It's a very different build/design/everything compared to our old Roland Soljets and our Mimaki UCJV, but in a good way.
Thanks for the update, the S60600 is one heck of a machine, a true workhorse. I´m very happy with my S40600 and will probably go for the S80600 as their price is very competitive. But I´ll wait a few months until more information of the S9170 comes out. The Canon Colorado, although an impressive printer, is way out of my budget, specially after considering maintenance costs.