• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Added some LED lights to My XC-540. Can't live w/o now!

SwarfWorks

Hey all,

I got a little tired of not being able to see what's going on "under the hood", so I thought that I'd add some lights. About $50 at Menards and an hour later, I was in business...

Later,
Paul

Attachments

• SwarfWorks_led_xc540-1.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 115
  • SwarfWorks_led_xc540-2.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 85
  • SwarfWorks_led_xc540-4.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-4.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 82
  • SwarfWorks_led_xc540-5.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-5.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 82
  • SwarfWorks_led_xc540-6.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-6.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 75
  • SwarfWorks_led_xc540-7.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-7.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 90
  • SwarfWorks_led_xc540-8.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-8.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 89
  • SwarfWorks_led_xc540-9.jpg
    SwarfWorks_led_xc540-9.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 81

Chad.

I was JUST talking about this with my roland tech the other day ... how nice it would be to have LED lights on the underside of the cover.

And to take it a step further ... those "Natural" LED lights that are supposed to replicate sunlight ...

crazy

flyinhawaiian968

Heh, my dealer who sold me my XC540 had installed LED lighting inside before I bought it back in November! And yes, there's no way I can do anything with the lights turned off!

Of course, he got me for 200 bucks as an add-on, but its okay, the money was well-spent!

I'll post some pics of my setup sometime this week if I get a break from work!

Chris

rdm01

I was just on tech support with some problems and brought up the fact that sometimes it will not read the cut registration marks. He suggested the same thing. Apparently in low light or shadow areas, the sensor will not read the cut registration marks. He also suggested that I buy them from him for a couple hundred dollars! What are those powered off of? Is it a separate plug, batteries, or are they tied into the printer power somehow? (I could see the last one being nice but instantly voiding any warranty).

SwarfWorks

Hey all,

Thanks for the notes.

flyinhawaiian968: Please do post some pics. I'd be really interested to see what it looks like.

Mine is just under cabinet lighting, so it just has one of those in-line switches in the cord. It's nice because you can plug them in end to end (as I have the 3 running off the same power cord). I don't have enough guts (or stupidity) to try to wire it into a $30k printer... Although... I bet the plug for the optional dryer might could supply enough power.... hmmm... ;)

The one thing that I would like better is to have it mounted to the printer, and not to the door. It just renders it worthless when you lift the door (actually kind of shines in your eyes).

Since I am actually a CNC machinist, I was going to make some elaborate billet mounting system, but didn't have the patience.

Thanks,
Paul

cdiesel

I was seriously considering the very same thing.. but I'd mount them to the inside of the cabinet instead of on the door. We've already hacked ours all up for the ventilation system. :)

flyinhawaiian968

Note to self: TAKE PICTURES TOMORROW MORNING!!!

Yeah, I flaked! Totally forgot to post the photos, but remembered I have one on my pbase account, so here's a really bad view of the lighting...

Attachments

• 1092.jpg
    1092.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 100
sweet idea! i have been thinking i needed a light for a while now. i have a small flashlight velcroed to my cutter. but you did it right for sure.

check these out!!! i will be buying 2 sets, 1 for printer and 1 for the cutter(byebye flashlight)

flyinhawaiian968

Okay, shot a couple of images this morning with the shop lights off, just a fluorescent light in the bay area was on. These are optically correct led's, and cost me an extra 200 bucks to have them installed by my distributor, but well worth it to me. I've never had a problem registering vinyl for contour cuts, and can't live without them now!

Chris

Attachments

• DSC_2177.jpg
    DSC_2177.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_2178.jpg
    DSC_2178.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_2180.jpg
    DSC_2180.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 120