• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding a contour cut outline to a photo

Roodavis

This was asked on Flexiezine and got very little activity and no help yet, so I'm hoping one of the experts here will jump in and help out. Using the latest version of Flexi for Macintosh with a Roland SolJet II 545ex.

What we are trying to accomplish. We have a local school athletic director that would like us to print and cut what he calls "wallflowers", something that is quite popular with pro sports like fathead.com. Basically he has a photo of one of his school athletes that he would like printed on vinyl without a background using a contour cut that would leave just the athlete. We are trying to reduce the amount of time we have to work on the file to the bare minimum. The ideal thing would be for him to be able to remove the background (which he is willing to do to cut his cost) and send us a file that can be imported into Flexi with the contour line already there and ready to cut. Then we just send it to the SolJet for printing and cutting. So far every file he has sent us, even with the background set to transparent, we end up with a box the size of the photo. We have to spend time adding the contour line and straightening out all of the nodes. Way more time than needed to keep it cost effective.

Anybody have time for step by step instructions? Will pay a reasonable fee if necessary (time is money after all). We currently use Illustrator, please advise if CS2 or CS3 will make life easier.