• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding a second printer in Onyx

Cmiller01

Printer
Hey, this is probably incredibly easy but can't seem to figure it out. Im trying to install a 2nd printer in onyx. We already have a Jv3 160s and we just bought a Jv3 160sp. In "configure printer " I can change the number of printers to 2, but it just adds a new printer with the same name as my other one and adds a "B" beside it. Also, I have two firewire ports on my computer, but only one port shows up. I can take the firewire cord out of the Jv3 160S and plug it directly into the computer and it takes files just as the other one does, but when I add a second printer none will initialize. They will be running the same profiles so I dont need to install those.
At my old job they had two Hp's running together and they had different names and ports, but for some reason I dont get this option here. Any help on this?

JWesthead

Try downloading another driver for the 160SP....The configure printer option to change to two printers I think only duplicates the current one you have not allowing you to have seperate ports.

genericname

If memory serves me right, you do need to go through the install new printer dialogue, as jesse suggests, but you probably have an OS limitation in regards to your firewire connectivity. I ran into a wall when we first set our printers up on Onyx, and it turned out that a different port wasn't the issue; if the two ports are on the same card, then Windows (or Onyx, or whatever) only sees it as a single address.

Since two printers are present on this address, it creates a conflict, and both are unreadable, or will at least cause errors. The remedy was to install more firewire cards, creating separate addresses for each item plugged in. Fortunately for me, the on-board firewire ports on the back and front were wired in separately, so I only had to install a single after-market firewire card to be able to simultaneously run our three printers.

Chances are, you're in the same boat.

Edit:
The above means to say, of course, that you need to plug each printer not into a separate port, but into separate firewire cards altogether.

Last edited:

Cmiller01

Printer
We have permissions for up to 4 printers. We did discover that the two firewire ports are on the same card, the tech guy was in today and installed two new firewire cards ( we had two slots avail luckily) but onyx was not able to see either printer after that....when I add a second printer it is just duplicating what I have and not allowing me to see the second firewire port period, and wont initialize either printers.....ugh.