• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding Corel

Boomer

We have been using Flexi expert for a long time.We are still at ver 7.6 it does everything we want it to do,works great and we are comfortable with it. We decided to look into upgrading to ver 10,we know we are two versions behind and knew it would cost us. We got a price from our dealer at $995.00 we didn't think this was too bad for a double upgrade.We looked into CorelDraw X5 and with a sizeable discount we were able to purchase the full version for less than $200.00,So we went with that.

Now I am wondering how much of a learning curve will it be to go from Flexi expert to X5? Do most of you use two graphic programs?
I am not against learning anything new,just kind of want some insight into Corel.
Thanks for any info.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
CorelDraw is very user friendly and there is a ton of training material both free and paid out there to bring you up to speed.
X5 should have come with a series of tutorials to get your feet wet.
Lots of Draw info here as well:
http://www.unleash.com/

Good luck,
there are some very skilled Draw users here on the forum so if you hit a dead end - ask.

wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

I use Corel and Illustrator.

They are both great programs. Corel is by far much more user friendly and is a great product all around, especially if everything is in house.

Once you need to start sending files to other providers, you MAY run into some issues exporting into various formats, but like everything, there are fixes for most of those issues so it's not like it's a complete dead end in that department either.

I suggest doing a couple of really simple tutorial exercises in corel. Their tuts are well structured to help you generate a simple logo for example, but within that simple logo, you will learn most of the basic tools which are surprisingly enough to get you going pretty far with a bit of initiative, which you seem to be willing to display.

Also, feel free to pm me if you need any help, or post it to the forum. There are many great minds here :)

Mosh

Been using Corel since V2...you will love it. I use it more than any other software we have.

OldPaint

corel user and been cutting RIGHT FROM COREL, since VERSION 3!!!!!! i have worked with all the sign "specific" programs..........AND COREL is all i have used since 1993!!!!
flexi has a thing in it where you can make flexi desktop similar to COREL!!!
SIGN-LAB is really closer then any other to COREL!!!
SIGN WIZARD also mimics COREL. the only one that is far removed from COREL is GERBER.they do their's way off from corel.
i had LETTER ART, when i got my 1st plotter. was ok but COREL was better.
i have played with VMPRO , lot of similarities to corel. point is MOST ANY GOOD SIGN PROGRAM..........BORROWED FROM COREL))))))
after version 7 and the 150 foot x 150 foot work space...........corel became a PREMIER SIGN PROGRAM))))))

Boomer

I appreciate the replies and support. I downloaded the trial version until the full version is shipped. Going to watch the tutorials on it.There is a 2hr dvd included with full version,that should cover everything.I learned Flexi on the fly so I guess picking up Corel with some tutorials should make it an easy transition.
OP,the one thing I did check on before buying is if I could cut directly from Corel and was told "yes" by Corel support. Will it recognize our Roland plotter? What does Corel use as a cutting program?

signage

The way OP is talking about cutting, is using the windows driver for your plotter. When doing this your plotter is treated as a printer, which they were originally breated for. So you do not have all the option you have in a cutting program/ bridge program like flexi. Do a search there has been post with different tutorial sites.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"OP,the one thing I did check on before buying is if I could cut directly from Corel and was told "yes" by Corel support. Will it recognize our Roland plotter? What does Corel use as a cutting program?"

If you are holding on to your Flexi expert don't waste time trying to cut from Draw.
Design in Corel - cut in Flexi.
Flexi is better at cutting than Draw & you already know how to do that part.
EPS/AI path export out of Draw will plot without issues in Flexi.
You can even copy to the clipboard in Corel and paste into Flexi to cut but I would not recommend it.

wayne k
guam usa

Boomer

Thanks Wayne, I was have been searching and seem to find I will have to use production manager in flexi to plot. I was hoping it would be a few clicks away in Corel like it is in flexi instead of having to import/export.Guess I will figure out a system that works for us.
Thanks

OldPaint

"OP,the one thing I did check on before buying is if I could cut directly from Corel and was told "yes" by Corel support. Will it recognize our Roland plotter? What does Corel use as a cutting program?"

If you are holding on to your Flexi expert don't waste time trying to cut from Draw.
Design in Corel - cut in Flexi.
Flexi is better at cutting than Draw & you already know how to do that part.
EPS/AI path export out of Draw will plot without issues in Flexi.
You can even copy to the clipboard in Corel and paste into Flexi to cut but I would not recommend it.

wayne k
guam usa
where did you come up with that wayne? fkexi cuts better then corel draw???
thats to funny. corel will treat an object or text.......THE SAME AS FLEXI WOULD!!!!!!! no difference! waste time trying to cut from corel??? now more time then you waste cutting from FLEXI)))))).
once corel is set up, just like you had to do with FLEXI......its just a matter of HIT PRINT PREVIEW, if you like what you see, HIT PRINT THIS SHEET NOW!!! DONE, SIT BACK AND WATCH IT CUT.............JUST LIKE IT WOULD FROM FLEXI!!!!!!SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ.
to cut from corel to a roland, roland has to be attached to computer as a PRINTER. mine is on LPT-1. i have an old A/B switch. turn it so it works with plotter instead of desktop printer. and i dont know what the heck else you want to do between the plotter and computer........BUT COREL HAS WORK SINCE 1993........for me......ITS ALL I USE. in all those years, i think i one or 2 jobs that i actually needed a SIGN-LAB/FLEXI way to create something.
i remember one in particular, it was a text with perspective shadow. i could only make it in sign lab or flexi. but 2 jobs in almost 20 years of cutting..........dont justify having those expensive programs. besides i alway been able to DRAW........so i can alway draw and trace........
to ut from corel you need a driver(d029270j.exe ) found here: http://download.rolanddg.jp/en/cutting.html#winntdricamm1
install it and set corel up to page size of the plotter. SO SIMPLE A CAVE MAN LIKE ME CAN DO IT))))))))))

Boomer

Thanks OP,when it comes time I will hit you up if I have any trouble installing.From one cave man to another.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Totally off base Old Paint.
Boomer already owns and knows how to use Flexi, there is no need to waste time trying to cut something in CorelDraw.

There are far more options in Flexi to save time & get a job done over cutting from Corel.
Things like Auto tiling, Auto weld by color, Auto trap, Nesting to gang up different plot files to minimize material waste, weed borders, weed lines, auto registration marks for multi-colored jobs that have to be overlaid. The ability to save a plot job with everything set the way you need it so it can be recut at a later time with a single click. Lots of other options that are avalible even before you get to the production manager.
How about that very short panel length cut limit you hit in Draw, what is it 5 or 6 feet?
Many of these things you can set up manually in Draw before you plot it out, but by doing it manually guess what - you are wasting time.
If he was asking if he needed to pick up a copy of Flexi to go with his X5 then it would be a different story.
So yes Old Paint, Flexi does cut better than Draw.
This is coming from a guy who has been cutting vinyl (by hand) long before plotters and cutting programs ever hit the mainstream.

wayne k
guam usa

CoCut USA

"Boomer already owns and knows how to use Flexi, there is no need to waste time trying to cut something in CorelDraw.

There are far more options in Flexi to save time & get a job done over cutting from Corel.
Things like Auto tiling, Auto weld by color, Auto trap, Nesting to gang up different plot files to minimize material waste, weed borders, weed lines, auto registration marks for multi-colored jobs that have to be overlaid."

Fair statements, albeit, with a good sign-making plug-in, all that and more are possible right out of CorelDRAW. Our CoCut Pro definitely bridges the feature gap in cutting vinyl, and contour-cutting -- from Corel, AI, FreeHand and AutoCAD.

Moreover, there are advantages to working from within CorelDRAW, i.e. no file export/import and the duplication that creates. Also if small changes need to be made, you're right there. No going back to CorelDRAW (AI, etc.) to change the design and the export/import all over again.

Plus, AI and CorelDRAW are popular apps outside of sign-making too. New hires are far more likely to integrate into a CorelDRAW or Illustrator workflow than having to learn FlexiSIGN, SignLab, etc. Plus they're way cheaper for adding additional workstations.

Good and bad exist in every workflow; but many would argue CorelDRAW or Illustrator are unsurpassed in the designing end of things. So a great sign-making plug-in can close the loop nicely.

IMH (and biased, obviously) O. :Big Laugh

Jim

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good points Jim,
if he didn't own Flexi I would not advise him to pick up a copy - unless maybe he needed to print and plot.....

wayne k
guam usa

OldPaint

wayne, again you make statements you know nothing about.
1.Things like Auto tiling, Auto weld by color, Auto trap, Nesting to gang up different plot files to minimize material waste, weed borders, weed lines, AND HOW MANY TIMES have you used any of these?????i nest stuff in corel all the time.....if its possible to save vinyl.
2.registration marks for multi-colored jobs that have to be overlaid. The ability to save a plot job with everything set the way you need it so it can be recut at a later time with a single click. Lots of other options that are avalible even before you get to the production manager. GEEEEEEE, i didnt know corel didnt save all of the files from 1993 to now, that i can open a file from 1993 made in corel 3 and cut it exactly in corel X3 just like i did it in 1993))))))))) oh and what is production manager......COREL DONT HAVE THAT TIME WASTED STEP to go thru to cut something. hehehehehehe
3.How about that very short panel length cut limit you hit in Draw, what is it 5 or 6 feet?
NOW WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOU COME UP WITH THAT ONE???? how many times have i said the workspace in corel since version 7 has been 150 feet X 150 feet!!!! sooooooooo when i set up the page that i do layouts and produce cutable objects(all on same page) i can make the LENGTH OF THE VINLY TO BE CUT......anywhere from 24" to i have mine set at 144" thats 12 FEET LONG!!!!! i cant handle much anything over that length))))))))))
4. Many of these things you can set up manually in Draw before you plot it out, but by doing it manually guess what - you are wasting time. well so is going from a drawing portion of flexi to production manager)))))))
5. SET UP ONCE IN COREL........and the rest of the time is no different then flexi, except corel dont have a PRODUCTION MANAGER, and ive seen how that works))))) time waster.
6. This is coming from a guy who has been cutting vinyl (by hand) long before plotters and cutting programs ever hit the mainstream. ANNND this is coming from a guy who was SWINGIN A BRUSH...........BEFORE VINYL was available)))))))

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
OP I use many of those options listed frequently but as I do less vinyl and more printing these days their use is less than what it was.

I was cutting vinyl in the mid 70s when you where most likely out in the forest looking for toads to lick before picking up your brush.

As far as the cutting limit I got it from some old fart here on the list, but I see that I was mistaken and it is more of a hardware limit instead of a software issue:
>>
iam thinking you aint settin it it up right!!!!
i HAD A PNC-1000, and i cut from COREL.............and i had it set for 19.50 x 62.99!!!!
YOU........need to set MEDIA SIZE in the ROLAND DRIVER, and also SET PAGE SIZE in corel.........TO BE THE SAME SIZES.
as for the length, its a DEFAULT SETTING on that plotter. you can do longer stuff, but need a SIGN-CAD program that can PANEL. BUT, with that plotter, i wouldnt recommend increasing the length past 62.99, as its not known for its tracking.
you can, if your smart, learn to cut in that 62.99 window, you can PANEL each one.
>>
Anyway not to get too far off track here.
The original poster now has a very nice set up for both design and plot work with the Flexi/Draw combo and it is up to him as to the best use for each.

My advice is still Design in Corel and plot in Flexi based on my use of Coreldraw from version 3 to x5 and use of Casmate-Inspire-Flexi 7.6 up to 8.6.

wayne k
guam usa

OldPaint

"I was cutting vinyl in the mid 70s when you where most likely out in the forest looking for toads to lick before picking up your brush."
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you funny man)))) i was taught sign painting by a "shakey jake" drunk.......who to this day i admire his talent. man never did a layout, just picked up a brush loaded it and PAINTED SIGNS!!!! he saw some of that ability in me at .....you ready?? 12-13 years old!!!!!! i was born in 1945, you do the math iam too old to.)))) i also had another very talented artist, who did some sign work. local guy who i always looked up to, he also saw i had possibilities........and had me help him paint some billboards when i was 13-14. so...........in the 70's while you was cuttin vinyl, i was painting "molly hachett"(frank frazetta) album covers on the sides of vans with air brush, lacquer paint and brushes!!!!!!!! does that fill in the blank spot???
as for the limitation of cutting, you was right it was HARDWARE ISSUE, not software.
the ROLAND PNC-1000, which was my 1st plotter, had that 62.99 limit on it. it was also there IF YOU HAD FLEXI/SIGN LAB or any sign program. the sign programs AUTOMATICALLY PANELED if it was longer, but it never really got it exactly perfect. was alway off just a bit. i got ROLAND PNC-1100 to replace the 1000, and that limit was still there, but with corel 7.........IT DIDNT MATTER. corel used its PAGE SETTING rather then the printer driver settings. i now have a CX-300, 30" wide max, but i run 24" most of the time. my page setting in corel is 23.50 X 110.00 INCHES. rarely do i cut anything longer then that. my weeding/tape table is only 6 foot long. so most of the time i break up 4 X 8' vinyl into 4-5 foot panels. iam only one guy with 2 hands....that wont open much more then that)))))).
i have a freind in sarasota who uses flexi from day one. all he knows. i introduced him to corel, LOVES IT!!! another freind there who did all the graphics for the SCARAAB boat line, bought gerber, because of the sprocket feed, BUT HE DESIGNED EVERYTHING IN COREL))))) for me, i need nothing else, i tell people when they ask how hard it is to learn corel.........."pick a version, 2-4 year learning curve will get you bout 75% of ITS TOTAL CAPABILITIES!!!!! i been using corel since 1993, and i have maybe a 30-40% grasp of all it capable of doing. i still dont know all and photopaint is still a lot of ...wow didnt know it could do that!!!!!!! after all these years))))))
you want a fun little program specially if you print............get TWISTED BRUSH. free download, and then you can buy the additional eye candy effects for it.

Boomer

I downloaded the trial version,so far I like it. It did a bitmap trace alot better than Flexi.Most of the tools I use in Flexi are similiar in Corel,just named differently or a different icon. I think the transition may not be as bad as I was thinking. It will take some time but I can fall back on Flexi if I get stuck.

OldPaint

flexi has a setup: open FILE, drop down will have WORKSPACE.........you can choose COREL, the FLEXI desktop will have a lot of similarities to COREL.