• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding customers to your mailing list?

S

scarface

Hey guys, I have noticed that while doing some market research on competitors i will receive emails on special offers from them from time to time. Now i haven't signed up for their mailing lists so they obviously put anyone who has contacted them via email in their list.

Is this legal? I am in the mist of building a mailing list and was wondering is this a approach to add people to the list or a bad one?

Thanks!

jasonx

Not sure if its legal.

I know its illegal if you dont have a mechasnism for them to opt out of your mailing list though.

iSign

it's bad form... although I can't say I haven't been tempted, but it is pretty much spam unless someone specifically signs up to receive marketing communications. Many people still do it of course, which is what led to the can-spam act... but not worth doing in my opinion... (& Jason is right about the opt-out option)

Jon Aston

Don't do it.

The purpose of all marketing communications (regardless of media) is about building a relationship between you (or your company, or brand) and the customer. If they don't know who you are, don't like you, don't respect or trust you... they aren't too likely to buy from you (or keep buying from you). Spam is an unwanted intrusion, an interruption, and a disrespectful waste of someone's time and attention. It's creates a lousy first impression and creates barriers to being liked, respected and trusted.

Marketing is a strategic process. There are no shortcuts. Do it right, consistently, with patience and you will be rewarded with steady growth.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, what's the difference if you e-mail someone in advance that you'd like to meet with them and talk over some advertising strategies or their sign needs... and that you can help them vs. just showing up on their doorstep and calling it 'Pounding the Pavement' or 'Cold Calling ?? None of this to be mistaken as telemarketing.

I can see worthless statements and unrealistic prices and/or deadlines going out to thousands of recipients being a bad method, but if you target a few potential customers and make your e-mail, post-card or phone call personal.... I don't see a problem with it..... yet.

Sounds like most of you are talking about the spam we get via fax or e-mail as those pesky recycling metal people.... or the roofers, the vacations and health-care opportunities. Now those are a annoying, but someone that one-on-one with you, I don't find troublesome at all.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Is this legal? I am in the mist of building a mailing list and was wondering is this a approach to add people to the list or a bad one?...

Why would it not be legal? It's public information.

There's precious little legislation enjoining you from sending something to someone who may not want it. This is as it should be, the alternative is a straight line path to absurdity.

As far as being a good or bad idea, you have to answer that for yourself.

S

scarface

I mean really, It would be people who have contacted you via email in the past for one thing or another. So it's not like your buying a random email list and using it. Just something for you guys to think about since i was a little confused on if it was alright or not.

Of course there is a opt out link at the bottom too.

G-Artist

Having queried them on a matter has established a business link or nexus and you are free
to use their addy in your spam list. Doing a "cold call" via e-mail has a federal law attached.
See the FTC site for details.

All e-mail solicitations, legal nexus or not, must have an opt-out link somewhere. And use
of that link has to be properly employed and respected.

binki

Two of our competitors sent us emails, one promoting their business and another discussing details of a project they were working on (we were included in error) but both of them use cc rather than bcc or individual emails to us and we scored the entire customer list from the first one and the project and a list of purchasers and desiccation makers from the second.