• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding Engraving to your sign business

Steve Prince

We're getting a lot of requests for engraved and ADA signs and thinking about adding an engraver. Anyone have much luck and profit by including engraving in your shop?

astro8

We do a lot of engraving but concentrate on sign engraving...stainless steel, paint filled, brass plates, braille, plaques etc...heavy rotary type engraving that has far less competition and more profit. We don't do name badge, pet tag stuff.

You'll need a heavy engraver to do this type of work though (stainless steel plates etc), preferably with a high frequency spindle.

Air Art Girl

we do engraving, both rotary and laser. I do a lot of it. I have a Xenetch 912 and do both rotary in metals and routing in plastic. I just got a Xenetech 1625 for free!!! Yes boys, that's right.............FREE!!! My Xenetech rep said my software will run that unit, can't wait to get it working. Really want to play with some wood bits.

I would add the engraving if you see a market for it in your business. The only thing I would caution you about is that there is a ton of specs for ADA signage, you have to know your stuff for ADA signs.

Dave Drane

I bought a Roland engraver and found the pricing structure much worse the the sign industry. I have no regrets tghougfh as I soon expect to pick up more work by desiging "proper" layouts, not like the garbage I am quoting against.

jiarby

I think at some point you have to define what your core competencies & capabilities are. It takes more than an engraving machine...

We probably have accumulated 40k worth of engraving tools, supplies, materials, inventory over the last 5 years. We came to the sign business from the trophy & engraving world, the opposite of what you are doing! We used to cut 651 vinyl with our laser for coro signs! These days signs/banner is 80% of the business and the engraving/sublimation is 20% (the opposite of 3 years ago!).

You have to decide if you want to change the direction your business is going.

I think casually adding engraving for now and then ADA jobs is a bad idea.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Being that California has one of the strictest ADA codes in the nation, how much do you know about ADA and do you have other capabilities that support that type of signage?

V-ENGRAVE

We're getting a lot of requests for engraved and ADA signs and thinking about adding an engraver. Anyone have much luck and profit by including engraving in your shop?

One thing you should know if you are going to do braille on ADA signs is you will need to purchase license from Accent signage as they own patent on it.
Doing applique only on ADA signs does not require license but it won't meet states required codes.

V-ENGRAVE

I just got a Xenetech 1625 for free!!! Yes boys, that's right.............FREE!!! My Xenetech rep said my software will run that unit, can't wait to get it working. Really want to play with some wood bits.

I have exact same machine but my cost me over 20k. It is a well built machine.
Hey Air Art Girl, did your 1625 come with Viper MPU or old electronics that are no longer supported by Xenetech?

One thing you should know if you are going to do braille on ADA signs is you will need to purchase license from Accent signage as they own patent on it.
Doing applique only on ADA signs does not require license but it won't meet states required codes.

accent sells licenses for their 'raster' method of producing ada signs for those not in the know those are the small 'beads'

as far as meeting state codes it depends on the project and the state...that is a pretty big broad statement you have made.

V-ENGRAVE

as far as meeting state codes it depends on the project and the state...that is a pretty big broad statement you have made.

My post was only to inform original thread poster that producing braille ADA signs may need further research. Up here in Canada we don't have set law for it yet ( in 2012 I have heard it will be).

Air Art Girl

I just got a Xenetech 1625 for free!!! Yes boys, that's right.............FREE!!! My Xenetech rep said my software will run that unit, can't wait to get it working. Really want to play with some wood bits.

I have exact same machine but my cost me over 20k. It is a well built machine.
Hey Air Art Girl, did your 1625 come with Viper MPU or old electronics that are no longer supported by Xenetech?

It's the old electronics and yes they do still support it. My rep here in the NW is the best and stops by when he is passing thru from one side of the state to the other. My 912 is older too and works great. We just changed computers and my rep installed the card and activated the software on the new computer and updated my software, gives me free phone support and can fix anything on my machine.

V-ENGRAVE

It's the old electronics and yes they do still support it.

You are correct in regards on software support however Xenetech does not have replacement parts for APU or MPU for old electronics. They will upgarde your current machine with Viper controls only. On "Engravingetc" forum this has been discussed when some members were looking for APU-PCI card and no one could find one. The upgarde cost is over 5K US.
If your rep has these parts in stock I am sure someone from the other forum would like to contact him.