• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding outline takes FOREVER on some files

IsItFasst

Why, for the love of God, does adding an outline on some files take so long?!? I mainly notice this when I take an image and make the background transparent and then try to add an outline. It literally takes several minutes with the software saying "not responding" before it finally kicks in. Right now I am dealing with a file that has some detail/gradient to it and I am waiting about 10 minutes for it to add an outline to the design. Even when I go to separate the outline from the design it takes several minutes. Doing that so I don't have to wait the ten minutes each time to adjust the thickness of the outline.

I should note that normally when I add an outline to something it takes half a second even it if it quite detailed. And if I open a giant tiff or bitmap it only takes a few seconds. So I don't think it is my computer since it seems to have the processing power to do most things in a speedy time frame. Any tips or is this just an issue with Flexi?

IsItFasst

Transparency and gradient effects are generated every time a drawing is 'refreshed', which depending on the program can be every time you zoom. I would suppose adding outlines is a multistep process that gets rendered over and over through each step. Have you tried adding outlines before doing transparency and gradient effects? Or can you convert the transparent sections into raster images before adding outlines?
I just got the file from a customer this way. I know the file was drawn some odd way when it takes several seconds for it to load even though it is a fairly simple design. I have got work arounds but now I'm dealing with it taking forever to just open the file now that the outline has been applied. Not sure why having a simple contour around the design would make it where it takes 10 minutes to open the file versus it not having the outline and opening within a few seconds.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
I had the same issue but with art for a 5x20 double sided banner for the rose bowl parade, they gave me ready art on a double sided dvd . Took 5 min to load , glad I didn’t have to do modifications because it had millions of nodes - load , rip , deliver ..... tried to play with the file after the job was done but re rendering made my brain hurt real bad .