• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding stroke to fonts on vinyl cutter.

LUV DEM TIGERS

I posted this in the Mimaki section but I am sure that it is pretty much the same for others.

I am new to this and just bought a used Mimaki CG-60ST. We are going to start out doing a lot of the stick figures/high school athletic team decals for the back of vehicles and such. I am able to cut directly out of Corel, which is great. However, if I add stroke to letters, it wants to cut the letter and then the stroke. I even tried converting the test to curves thinking this might fix the problem. It didn't. Help a newbie (idiot) like me. What can I do to add stroke to truetype fonts (or probably anything) and have the cutter just cut the outline?

Bigdawg

Just Me
You have to outline the stroke, then merge it back with the original letters. Don't use Corel too much but that's how you do in Illustrator.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
stroke is for printing and can't be cut...that's why you have to use the contour tool...which is basically putting an outline on the cut

LUV DEM TIGERS

It didn't work for me. I chose my letter, then clicked on "Effects", "Contour", checked the box for "Outside" and then offset 0.03 and steps was 1. I then "printed" to my Mimaki and it cut the letter and the outline. When I click on "View", "Wireframe" I see the double lines. When I click on "View", "Simple Wireframe" I only see the outer line. Obviously I am doing something wrong. Any advice?

Service Sign Co

Don't believe you can turn cuts on or off in corel,you would have to add the outline in front not behind the letter and split the difference of the outline size.If it looks bad , contour the letter convert to object, delete the inner stroke, then add an outline

Tom

Once you convert the original to curves, remove the stroke, use the contour tool to replicate the stroke, then break the contour apart and remove the original graphic.

Steve C.

After creating the contour, delete the original copy. As stated before, view
wireframe to see exactly what will cut.