• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Additional Pinch Rollers

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

Which Summa model were you considering adding additional pinch rollers to? Unless your material is flexing and creating a high spot in the middle that the blade may be scratching during the cutting process there isn't much of an advantage adding additional rollers. I have the instructions for adding the additional roller assemblies(referred to as a media select kit) that I can email you if you would like. Please email me your contact info to philj@airmark.com and I can send you that info.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Saturn

Aging Member
Depends what problem/difference you're trying to solve for.

For anyone that's doing die-cuts or contour cutting all the way through the backing paper, I feel like this is the completely overlooked, biggest upgrade possible. I have the 30" S2 tangential and cut about 3,000-4,000 (which admittedly isn't much) 9 to 25 square inch stickers with very complex outlines every week. Accuracy is never off more than the width of a .5pt stroke.

I do NOT use the flexcut option.

I added the pinch rollers as a hail Mary gamble to try and get better cut-through results and it was 100% the solution. If you're only kiss cutting vinyl and having issues, there might be other setting to look at first.

FatCat

I've often considered adding pinch rollers to our D-140. Many times we are doing big long print and cut jobs having a 16' long graphic, 54" wide going in and out of the machine. Sometimes just the weight of that piece can once in a while cause it to shift in the nip with 4 pinch rollers. I have always thought if there were 6 or 8 pinch rollers it would be enough pressure to prevent this from happening? Again I stress this was only with overly large graphics and tends to happen when the machine is constantly feeding in/out. And yes, I know it's best to slow it waaayyy down, but even then sometimes it would still skew the cut.

*Now that we have a F-1612 flatbed cutter, those jobs will run on it to prevent any issues with our Summa D-140.

DrunknMonk

Hi Phil, I would appreciate if you could email it to me, Im using a Summa S2T160 my email is gary@mw-group.net, Thanks Gary
Good morning,

Which Summa model were you considering adding additional pinch rollers to? Unless your material is flexing and creating a high spot in the middle that the blade may be scratching during the cutting process there isn't much of an advantage adding additional rollers. I have the instructions for adding the additional roller assemblies(referred to as a media select kit) that I can email you if you would like. Please email me your contact info to philj@airmark.com and I can send you that info.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Hi Saturn, thanks for your reply, I do a lot of contour cutting and flex with long runs 4m+ @54" wide, so Im just trying to get a bit better accuracy.

Thanks Gary

For anyone that's doing die-cuts or contour cutting all the way through the backing paper, I feel like this is the completely overlooked, biggest upgrade possible. I have the 30" S2 tangential and cut about 3,000-4,000 (which admittedly isn't much) 9 to 25 square inch stickers with very complex outlines every week. Accuracy is never off more than the width of a .5pt stroke.

I added the pinch rollers as a hail Mary gamble to try and get better cut-through results and it was 100% the solution. If you're only kiss cutting vinyl and having issues, there might be other setting to look at first.

Saturn

Aging Member
The other big factor for me, when doing cuts all the way through the sheet, was to make sure my blade is set precisely. I think a lot of folks get great results from an over extended blade on one or two jobs, and then get frustrated when accuracy starts to suffer or the cut strip get torn up too quickly, etc. It really pays to be patient after a blade change and dial things in slowly without trying to overcompensate with depth or pressure. Doing 15-20K stickers a month I easily get 2+ months on the blade and well over that on the cut strip. I do change the blade earlier than I absolutely need to.

If the graphics allow, you might try turning those 4m jobs into 2m jobs and just run 2 copies of the file.

DrunknMonk

The other big factor for me, when doing cuts all the way through the sheet, was to make sure my blade is set precisely. I think a lot of folks get great results from an over extended blade on one or two jobs, and then get frustrated when accuracy starts to suffer or the cut strip get torn up too quickly, etc. It really pays to be patient after a blade change and dial things in slowly without trying to overcompensate with depth or pressure. Doing 15-20K stickers a month I easily get 2+ months on the blade and well over that on the cut strip. I do change the blade earlier than I absolutely need to.

If the graphics allow, you might try turning those 4m jobs into 2m jobs and just run 2 copies of the file.

Thanks for your input, ive added some pics with the results ive been getting (not all the time) its worse on stripes. the blue one is what im getting a lot, The speed is down to 300, register marks every 300mm, and im using the core holders.
IMG_4564.jpg
IMG_4622.jpg
IMG_4565.jpg

Snydo

Add the pinch roller, it will pay for itself over time without a doubt, things just simply track better.
One thing I have noticed over the last many years is that calendered vinyl with gloss laminate definitely doesn't track as well as matte laminate, gloss is more prone to kinking when the lead edge hits the basket or the floor and generally being a PITA as it feeds long y-axis runs. Cast materials regardless of laminate finish, always track consistently well for me.

bigben

Wait! So you do contour cut all the way through the backing paper without using the flexcut option? How do you do this? I'm very intrigued.

Miftah

Hi

i bought a set of S2 TC160 in Nov 2020 and having alignment issue till today.

Im doing print and cut most of the time and the cutting alignment always out, right, centre and left in various direction.

Engineer & technician frm Summa have visited but cant seem to solve the problem.

Will add in additional roller helps?

Lastly does the pinch roller has a ball bearing on it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5favzmjcnepiiw8/Extra Pinch Roller 395-426.jpeg?dl=0

Last edited: