• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhering Acrylic to Cor-ten

signfab

I have a customer wanting a cut through, back lit sign face made from Cor-ten steel sheet.
I see problems with the opal acrylic letting go as the material corrodes. Can the rear of the sheet be sealed to stop it rusting and provide an adequate bonding surface for VHB and adhesive?

Any thoughts appreciated.

I have a customer wanting a cut through, back lit sign face made from Cor-ten steel sheet.
I see problems with the opal acrylic letting go as the material corrodes. Can the rear of the sheet be sealed to stop it rusting and provide an adequate bonding surface for VHB and adhesive?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Why do they need to be mounted together. Can you just mount both directly to the wall or etc where you are going to mount. No adhesive.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Does "cut through" mean "push-thru"?

I would be more afraid of rust getting all over the letters than the back releasing.

I prefer a mechanical attachment with a dab of silicone here and there. I would clear coat it, but probably make the backer as large as possible to get the maximum amount of adhesive on it.

signfab

The text is cut through with acrylic backing and not push through at this stage. the customer is aware of the discolouration an is happy with it.

Personally I don't like the rusted metal look but there's no accounting for taste.

nwsigns

You will want to weld studs onto the corten and them leave a small gap with a spacer between the steel and acrylic for water to flow. Fender washers and nuts to hold the acrylic on, hand tight with loktite so it can move.