• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adhering dibond to wood

Paul Nadeau

Can someone tell me a product manufacturer and product name of something that will adhere dibond to wood backer for exterior usage. I'm disappointed in liquid nails.

Paul Nadeau

I find regular nails work well, but I prefer screws.
But I don't want screws through the face of the sign. I know some people put a 2" circle of vinyl same color as the area where they put the screw to cover the heads but some customers want completely clean and liquid nails does seem to hold up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you just use the proper thickness ACM ?? Other than physical fasteners, nothing joining aluminum to wood is gonna be sufficient. Those are two entirely different substrates.

JBurton

Signtologist
but it will be raised away from the panel correct? In Vermont I have had water freeze behind the sign and push it out.
I don't think you'd have enough standing water get behind and freeze, snow and sleet on the other hand I guess, but those don't expand any more than they already are.

JBurton

Signtologist
Rough up the surface where being connected.
Rough em up good, so they never forget!
_cc9e961c-f6fd-4786-94a4-d073574ce9c8.jpg

I love this ai art bs.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
If you scuff up the back of the dibond sheet, silicone will be a permanent adhesive option. My concern would be the wood. Plywood tends to delaminate over time especially outside where it is exposed to moisture. I would definitely properly prepare and paint the wood prior to bonding the dibond to the face. The silicone bond to the back of scuffed or sanded dibond is excellent. Any failures we have had in this type of situation is a failure on the other side of the silicone where it is bonding to another substrate. If paint is flaking off the wall or you have an unpainted masonry wall you need to use mechanical fasteners.